Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Week 17


How far along: 17 weeks

Best moment this week:  Lazy weekend- pooltime, naptime, and ice cream.  Enjoying the "we have nothing to do" moments as much as possible.

What's new with baby:   Baby Wheeler is the size of an onion, about 5 inches long.  Baby is starting to develop body fat, can move joints, and swallow.  The skeleton is getting harder and stronger this week.

Mom is feeling: Great!  I can tell the baby is going through a growth spurt, I've been hungrier than usual and still get occasional cramps as things are shifting around in there to make room for the tiny human.

Weight gain: About 3 pounds.  Books say from here on out I should gain a pound a week, which if that's what ends up happening would put me right on target with the 25 to 35 pounds they recommend for someone my height and weight at the beginning of this adventure.  Of course, I realize that what "the books recommend" and what actually happens could be completely different and that's ok too.

Wardrobe: My pants no longer zip, so I'm loving my belly band to keep them up.  I feel like I'm in a weird inbetween phase where nothing looks good on me.  My regular tops are getting too tight or too short, but bigger tops (and some hand-me-down maternity clothes I got from a friend) look boxy and baggy on me.  Sundresses seem to be the way to go and I'm happiest in them.

Cravings: No cravings, no aversions.  This continues to be a mostly symptom free pregnancy.

Missing: Mountain biking.  I quit once we found out I was pregnant because even though I haven't crashed in a long time, you never know when a bump or root might send you flying off the trail and that's too risky.  We're only 5 minutes from a state forest that has great trails and it was a fun way to get exercise, be outside, and spend time together after work or on the weekends.  Even once the baby is here, it will be a long time before Matt and I can go ride together again, it's not exactly a baby friendly activity.  Once the bonus room renovation is finished I'll be able to ride my bike up there as a stationary cycle in front of the TV, but it's just not the same as feeling the wind in your hair and smelling the pine trees around you.

Name news: Turns out there are some great names way, way back on Matt's family tree that we didn't know about (Meshach! and yes, Shadrach! No, I am not making this up.  And to answer your next question- no, there was not an Abednego).  My side of the tree of course offers a wide variety of awesome German names from distant relatives (Knorbert! Hildegard! Hedwig!)  However... based on our preliminary lists, it is unlikely that Baby Wheeler will be named after anyone we know.

Scared about: Stretch marks.  I know that's a silly and vain thing to worry about, but if you do a google image search (Don't. Forget I said that. It's too disturbing.) you will see how scary and ugly some of the worst case scenarios can look.  If any do show up I'll tell myself it's a badge of honor from one of my life's greatest accomplishments, blah blah blah... but until then, I'll keep hoping my skin cooperates.

Excited about:  Still waiting for that first kick!  Whenever I'm digesting food or feel a cramp I get excited and wonder if it's a kick, but I don't think I've felt one yet.

6 comments:

  1. Burts Bees Mama Bee Belly Butter!! Every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'm using Palmer's right now, but once I use it up I'll try that!

      Delete
    2. I had the Palmer's, too - I still have some I think - I liked the smell and texture of the BB's better.

      Delete
  2. I remember you once said that if you ever had triplets, you were going with the names Meshach, Shadrach and Abednego! I think you should reconsider, even though you are only growing one little baby at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny that you remember that! It was the first thing I said to Matt when he was reading me the names off the family tree, I told him I used to say those would be my triplet names. :o)

      Delete
  3. I am out of the loop, which side of the family is the Meshach and Shadrach from? Where did you get the info?
    Probably from the Wheeler side. Frances did a lot of family background search.
    Glad you are feeling so good. You are looking great.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete