Monday, August 6, 2012

Week 18


How far along: 18 weeks

Best moment this week: People telling me I look pregnant!  The books were right, baby (and bump) hit a growth spurt this past week and I have graduated from, "Hmm... that girl looks like she's had too many donuts." to "Aww...that girl looks like she's pregnant."  I was getting a little self conscious about having a beer gut in public, I'm glad I'm past the questionable stage.

 What's new with baby: Baby is the size of a sweet potato, about 5.6 inches long and 6.7 ounces in weight.  Supposedly baby is super mobile right now- flexing, punching, twisting, turning, rolling and kicking around in there (maybe he/she is a future Olympian?).  I have felt some flutters, no clear kicks yet, but with baby growing so rapidly I should be able to feel more defined moves soon.
 
Mom is feeling: Happy.  I used to forget I was pregnant at times, now when I look down I can't help but smile and remember that there's a baby all snuggled up inside me.

Weight gain: 4 to 5 pounds depending on time of day I weigh myself.

Wardrobe: I bought my first pair of maternity pants this week but I haven't worn them yet.  Thanks to another generous friend I received another box of hand me down maternity clothes for down the road.  Mostly I'm still in non-maternity clothes, mainly larger tops and stretchy skirts.

Cravings: Nope.

 Missing: Energy.  This past week I felt the way everyone said I would during the first trimester but never did- exhausted.  I'm sure it doesn't help that work has been busier than usual and that I'm not having very restful sleep.

Name news: "Is it me, or is Veto starting to sound really good?"  (bonus points for you if you know who said this.)

Scared about: Finding the right daycare.  We've started calling and touring some places to find out what our options are and in case there are waiting lists.  I know it will be a hard decision to make and hope that when the time comes we find and have peace about the perfect fit for our child.

Excited about: So many things... the first definite kick, starting on the nursery, finding out if it's a little lady or baby boy, the halfway point, all the fun trips and visits with family scheduled for the fall, I could go on and on.  Sometimes 9 months seems like such a long time to wait to hold that sweet baby in my arms, but right now I'm just glad that I have 9 months to enjoy all the anticipation and excitement for things to come.

4 comments:

  1. It's from Friends, right?!? I can't remember if it was Ross or Rachel, though. You've felt the first flutter??!!? Details!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! You make pregnancy sound so fun and sweet and wonderful....I miss it!! We found the name Fabian and both of us love it, but it sounds dumb with our last name, so you can have it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. phoebe of course! :)

    Ross: I like Ruth. What about Ruth?
    Rachel: Oh, I'm sorry, are we having an 89-year-old? How about Dayton?
    Ross: Veto. Stewart?
    Rachel: Veto. Sawyer?
    Ross: Veto. Helen?
    Rachel: Veto.
    Phoebe: Is it me, or is "Veto" starting to sound really good?

    Rachel: We're having a girl! Sometimes I can't believe it's with you, but still... we're having a girl!
    Ross: I know, I know. You know what? I'm putting Ruth back on the table.
    Rachel: Oh, yes, we'll have ourselves a little baby Ruth.
    Ross: Permission to veto?
    Rachel: Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to Claudia for letting me know where Veto came from. Sorry I am not very good with Friends' trivia.

    Yeah I am really glad that people are no longer thinking that you have a beer gut.

    Enjoying the updates. I never knew what was going on with Matt while I was pregnant until he started pushing out with his feet. The first kick, nothing like it.

    Glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete