Monday, August 20, 2012
Week 20
How far along: 20 weeks
Best moment this week: Date night on Saturday! Knowing that in a few months the freedom to do whatever we want whenever we want is going to drastically change, we're enjoying this end of an era as much as we can. In November it will be 10 years since our first date, and 7 years since we got married... that's a long time the two of us have had to ourselves and it will be a big adjustment adding a little one to our family. We tried a new (to us) tasty restaurant downtown, went for a walk along the river, and finished the evening with ice cream.
What's new with baby: Baby weighs about 10.5 ounces and is 10 inches from head to foot (6 1/2 inches all curled up from crown to rump, but from 20 weeks on the measurements are given in "full" length). That means the baby is the size of a banana! Even though the baby is getting bigger, right now there is plenty of room for acrobatics, and the wee one is twisting and turning freely. I can usually feel this, like a fish is swimming around inside me or bubbles and butterflies. No kicks, just a little person moving and shaking things up.
Mom is feeling: Pregnant. If you're thinking that is an obvious answer let me explain that up until recently I didn't really "feel pregnant" and I could forget about it for hours at a time. Now that the bump has emerged, not only do I have a visual reminder, but my body is also feeling different than before. I'm achier, I get winded faster, and actions that require bending at the waist feel funny and I have to readjust how I do them. I've also had some problems this week with dehydration. I drink water all day long, but I guess the baby and my body are just soaking it straight up faster than I can replenish it, especially at night. I have woken up with painful leg cramps and other issues, but luckily once I start the day and begin chugging water again these problems go away.
Weight gain: 7 pounds
Wardrobe: I'm wearing a mix these days of looser pre-pregnancy tops and some maternity tops, usually with a regular stretchy fold over skirt. I did go on a mini online shopping spree this past weekend for some maternity staples like leggings and solid colored tops to get me through the beginning of fall.
Cravings: Baby and Mama are loving Nesquick chocolate milk with breakfast. I stopped at two different gas stations on the way to work last week looking for a bottle. It's surprisingly healthy for a chocolaty treat- lots of calcium, potassium, protein and vitamins A and D. Yum!
Missing: Sleeping through the night. I blame the 64+ ounces of water I consume daily.
Name news: Whenever we talk about boy names and can't come up with one we love, I think "Well, we might not need a boy name so I don't need to worry about it." Then when we talk about girl names I quickly realize we don't have a top one on that list either and tell myself "It's ok, maybe I won't need to decide on a girl name." Next week we can finally stop brainstorming for one of those lists, which will be nice... but then then we'll be out of excuses.
Scared about: The midwife explained that finding out the sex of the baby next week is just a bonus, the real priority of the halfway point sonogram appointment is to do a thorough check on the baby's development. If there are any problems or abnormalities with Baby's organs, spine, growth, etc. they will be able to identify them and I'll be a bit anxious until we hear the official "everything looks good" that we're praying for.
Excited about: Seeing the baby next Tuesday! Last time (at 8 weeks) the baby didn't even look like a baby, I can't wait to see how far that blob has come over the summer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment