Baby Wheeler will be the first grandchild for both of our parents and we knew we wanted to share the news in person with our families. Our last trip to Kentucky was back at the end of March so no one thought much of us planning a visit up since it had been awhile.
Last Saturday my parents came to Lexington for a cookout at Claudia's house. Shortly after they arrived I gave my Mom a gift. Since we had missed Mother's Day and her birthday in May I think she just thought I was giving her a belated gift. If you read the blog regularly you might remember last Christmas my Mom knit hats and scarves for us. I gave her a book of baby knitting patterns. Thanks to my brother in law Stephen (who was in on the secret) we got some great reaction photos... here's how it all went down.
 |
| Mom begins to unwrap... |
 |
| She opened it backwards, in this picture all she's seen is the back cover and that it's a knitting book. She's already excited, but doesn't know how much more excited she's about to be when she flips it over... |
At this point I think she turned it over and read the title and said, "Easy Knits for Babies. BABIES!?!" I told her to open it.
 |
| Reading the inscription |
Inside the book it said, "Dear Oma, Please knit me a hat and some booties. It will be chilly when I arrive this winter. Love, Baby Wheeler."
 |
| The Reaction. A shout, and she jumps up... |
 |
| Hugs all around |
 |
| Happy to find out they will be grandparents! |
It was so much fun telling them! Claudia had been sworn to secrecy a few weeks before and the proud aunt to be quickly brought out some delicious cookies she had decorated just for the occasion.
 |
| Claudia wore pink on purpose. She's made it clear that she wants a niece. |
 |
| Almost too pretty to eat! |
 |
| I said almost. Excited to eat the "Mom" cookie! |
 |
| Feasting and celebrating the news with the family |
As if our visit in Kentucky wasn't enough fun, a few hours after that we got to do it all again in Tennessee with Matt's parents! We gave his Mom a gift with
Goodnight Moon and
The Very Hungry Caterpillar in it. She opened it and you could tell Peggy was hoping the reason she was getting those books was our way of telling her I was pregnant and she could hardly contain her excitement when she said, "Why am I getting these?" At which point Matt told her, "You're going to need them to read to your grandchild." Or something along those lines, I don't remember exactly because just like earlier that day there was instant squeals, tears, and hugs. With Matt being tackled for hugs instantly as well as me, we don't have nearly the photo documentation we were able to get of my Mom, but here's one slightly blurry picture that I think captures the joy of that moment pretty well:
 |
| Me and Granny Peg. Or Nana. Or Grammie. She doesn't have a name yet. |
Our baby is so blessed to have two sets of wonderful grandparents who loved him/her the moment they found out our baby existed. It was a weekend I will never forget and I can't wait to share the memories with the baby someday.
aaaaand Cue the tears!! What a great story!! Even though you already told me in email form it was wonderful to read it again with the accompanying photos :)
ReplyDeleteThe picture is not as bad as I thought it would be. I look better blurry. LOL
ReplyDeleteLoving the blog.