Monday, July 16, 2012

Snoogle

I've learned a lot in the past few months, which is good because I have a lot to learn.  About pregnancy, babies, birth, baby gear, etc.  There's not really much to do at this point except read books and educate
myself on all the new vocabulary, products, and medical terminology that I will want to know down the road. 

One thing I have started to wonder is how did people manage to do this before the Internet existed?  I mean, I know they did just fine, but I can't tell you how often I've run to Google to check on my latest odd symptom.  I love my weekly Baby Center updates catered specifically to whichever week of pregnancy I'm in.  I love all the adorable nursery decor ideas on Pinterest.  I love reading other people's birth experiences on Spearmint Baby.  I love pondering tough naming issues with fellow readers of Swistle.  Matt's been busy researching reviews for strollers and other items and we like being able to watch videos on YouTube that highlight all the features and show you how easy it really is to collapse or adjust or use something.  Which brings me to the latest wonderful find that I never would have known about without the Internet: the Snoogle.


My newest bed mate

Sleeping hasn't been easy for me lately.  Mainly because in all my research I've repeatedly read that from the second trimester on it is recommended that you sleep on your side.  Stomach sleeping (my preferred style) is out for obvious reasons, and it turns out back sleeping restricts blood flow to the baby (not good).  Since I'm trying to be a good mommy, I have attempted to start sleeping on my side but it's really uncomfortable and given my condition it certainly isn't going to get more comfortable as the pregnancy progresses.  I tried a variety of pillows strategically placed but sadly they never stayed where I put them throughout the night.  Then I turned to the Internet to see how other people dealt with this and found out about the Snoogle, a genius C-shaped pillow that supports your back to keep you properly aligned as a side sleeper.                       

Doesn't she look happy?

It's like being spooned all night long!
Mine isn't as cute as the one in the picture, the patterned covers cost significantly more so I just went for the plain navy colored one.  It was definitely a splurge, it's not like prenatal vitamins or some other necessary item during pregnancy... but I have six months left of this and the Snoogle sounded too cozy to pass up.  To further justify my decision I was happy to find out that it also works as a support for a variety of nursing positions similar to the Boppy.  I know you're getting jealous imagining the cocoon of snuggliness I crawl into each night, so you'll be glad to know that it's also recommended for people with back/hip problems and (based on the pictures below) old women in pink silk pajamas.
The Snoogle might have a stupid name, but I love mine so far.  I know plenty of people that managed fine with a body pillow or propping up several pillows, but for me personally once I saw the Snoogle I wanted it.  Knowing that there are many sleepless nights coming my way once the baby arrives... it's worth it to get in as many good nights now as possible.  If anyone knows of any other crazy/silly inventions out there that became lifesavers during pregnancy,  let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I know many people who loved the Snoogle! For future purposes, since it sounds like you already bought yours - the 20% off coupons from Bed Bath and Beyond work at Buy Buy Baby. Also, if you register for Amazon Mom you'll get free 2 day shipping on pretty much everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that... I bought mine at Buy Buy Baby with a Bed Bath & Beyond 20% off coupon! :o)

      Delete
  2. When I was pregnant with Sylvia I was intent on using the million pillows I already had in order to sleep comfortably, but by the ninth month, I was convinced that a pregnancy pillow would have been useful. Needless to say, Sylvain bought me one for Christmas this time around and I LOVED it! I got the boppy one, which is like two horseshoe shaped pillows put together. This one looks fabulous, though, and I promise you, you'll be glad you bought it!

    For the record, I voted GIRL on your poll, in case you didn't know already. Girls are the best. Boys are nice, too, I suppose, and I won't be mad if you have one, but girls are the best!

    ReplyDelete