Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Week 22


How far along: 22 weeks

Best moment this week:  Spending the weekend with our wonderful extended family.

What's new with baby:  The baby is 11 inches long and weighs almost a pound, about the size of a papaya.  This week her pancreas is developing, eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and tiny tooth buds are forming beneath the gums.  The baby can hear noises from the outside and is settling into sleep patterns that last about 12 hours a piece.  I can tell when she's awake (usually in the evenings) because she starts kicking and wiggling all over the place.

Mom is feeling:  Less like myself, more like a pregnant person.  I don't sleep very well and I still have issues with weird aches and killer leg cramps in the night.  My belly button is getting shallower, probably on it's way to becoming an "outtie" in the next few months.  Now that we know it's a girl I've been kicking the nursery plans into high gear and it's been a lot of fun.  I feel like a better mom since I don't call my baby "it" and I'm really enjoying daydreaming about my daughter.

Weight gain:  Around 8 pounds

Wardrobe:  A pair of khakis that I was able to wear just last week (unbuttoned, but zipped by using the belly band) would absolutely not work this week when I tried them on.  They no longer zip at all.  The books say that from here on I'll be gaining anywhere from 1/2 a pound to a pound per week, so I guess a lot of the looser pre-pregnancy clothes that I've been getting away with for the first half of the pregnancy won't work anymore.

Cravings:  Nothing I can blame on the baby, I want sweets, chocolate, and dessert... same as before.

Missing:  Being closer to family.  After seeing a lot of our family this weekend it made me homesick for everyone else we didn't see.  It was fun to be around so many people who are sharing in the excitement of this pregnancy with us and made me wish we weren't several states away.

Name news: We took The Baby Name Wizard on our road trip.  We have narrowed our list to several potentials... but we don't have a favorite.  We did notice that if you say a name too many times, any name starts to sound horrible.  Try this with your own name right now and you will start to wonder what your parents were thinking.

Scared about:  How real this is all starting to feel with each week that passes.  In four months, we will be parents!  It's scary and fun all at the same time!

Excited about: Matt has started painting the nursery.  I'm always anxious/excited whenever we paint a room because I have a really hard time picturing it from the swatch and can't wait to see what it actually looks like when it's on the wall. 

1 comment:

  1. Pete didn't see this post until last night and he was upset! "You didn't tell me there was a new Jen Mack Wheeler update!!!"

    Ellie was an evening kicker, too! I remember when I had a morning appt later on in the pregnancy and they wanted me to push a button every time she kicked, and I thought to myself, it's 10am, she's not going to kick at all, come see me around 8pm if you want movement :)

    ReplyDelete