Sunday, September 30, 2012

Beach Weekend

Matt's parents are continuing their annual tradition of vacationing at Wild Dunes this week and we were more than happy to invade their lovely ocean front condo for the weekend.  The weather was beautiful and it was a relaxing and fun weekend spent with family.  (Congrats to Peggy and John- today they are celebrating their 34th wedding anniversary!)
Sitting in the screen porch Friday afternoon

A quick, direct path from the beach to their condo
Due to a mold issue in the original condo they booked, they were upgraded to a Beach Club condo, and it was really nice.  We even had a king size bed in our guest room, very spacious for Matt who has been stuck sharing the bed with a pregnant woman and her beloved giant Snoogle pillow.
Yes, I travel with my Snoogle.  It's that important to me.
Saturday the sun was shining and the temperatures were in the 80's, but somehow I had the pool all to myself!  The bigger the baby bump gets, the more awkward and achy I feel, so a few hours of weightlessness in the pool were wonderful!
Thanks to my friend Melissa for letting me borrow her maternity suit!
Saturday afternoon there was an intense rematch of Wheeler vs. Wheeler bocce ball.  You might remember from last year's blog post that team Elder Wheeler won last year.  However this year,  Matt and I came away with the victory!  Was it slightly unfair that we were technically playing with 3 Wheelers against 2 Wheelers?  Maybe, but we were proud of the win regardless.  Sadly no pictures were taken during the second annual bocce tournament, we'll try to do better next year.

Of course no trip to Charleston is complete without delicious dining, and we hit some of our favorites during our visit.  Friday night we went to an old "must visit" destination, Poe's Tavern on Sullivan's Island.  Then Saturday we went to a new favorite we discovered during our summer vacation, Low Country Bistro in downtown Charleston.  I really wanted to get the shrimp and grits again, but at the last minute decided to try something different... the chicken and waffle.  Let me get more specific, it was a sweet potato and cornbread waffle topped with half of a crispy chicken covered in pecan butter.  Oh, and did I mention the side of bourbon reduction syrup sauce?  It was decadent and delicious!

Yum.
Before heading home this afternoon we made one more tasty stop at Home Team BBQ because I think their smoked chicken salad sandwich is one of the best lunches ever.  After a few busy weeks at work for both of us, a weekend getaway was exactly what we needed.

2 comments:

  1. OH.EM.GEE. I love chicken a waffles almost as much as I love bacon. I turned my computer toward Sylvain and told him what you were eating in that picture, and just describing it made me HOUNGRY!!! I have to have one of those before I die :)

    You look adorable in a bathing suit, love the bump.

    You're killing me with the names news. Killing me!! What does it start with? How many syllables? What style is it??? I need CLUES!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Rach - hopefully we can gang up on you in a week and half(!) and maybe get an initial or something. I think it's an 'E' by the way. I know I HAVE an 'E' but there are so many other lovely, traditional 'E' names out there. xoxo, L

      Delete