Thursday, February 28, 2013

Daily Life

My maternity leave is over halfway gone and I'm not sure where the time has gone.  Actually, I know exactly where it's gone... I spend close to ten hours a day nursing and the rest of the time consoling a screaming baby or trying to squeeze in a quick nap myself.  People who say, "sleep when the baby sleeps" don't understand that when the baby sleeps is often the only chance to do anything while both my hands are free before Kate wakes up again.  We don't have a routine yet, it's still quite unpredictable how often or for how long Kate wants to eat or sleep each day, like this week she's going through a growth spurt and suddenly wants to eat almost hourly.  Matt comes home each day for lunch which has been a huge help and gives me a chance to shower or eat or just a 30 minute break from holding a fussy baby if it's one of her fussy days.

It's not all diapers, spit up, and exhaustion though... we have a lot of fun together too.  Here's how Kate has been spending her periods of wakefulness this week:

Reading-
They say don't judge a book by it's cover... but I knew this one would be good.

Befriending sea creatures-

Hello there!
 Learning how to walk-

Dad, I think it's too soon.
Grocery shopping-

Our first outing alone together was a success!
Bored by the bananas, I think I'll take a quick snooze

 Gazing at ceiling fans-

I'm so happy right now!  I love looking at ceiling fans, they're fascinating!

Browsing for bargains at Target-

You were right Mommy, this store is the best!  Let's come back everyday!

Going for walks in the neighborhood-

Ahh... I'm glad I live somewhere where winter feels like springtime
 Sitting around looking adorable-


I think the last half of my maternity leave will be much more fun than the first half now that I'm not as sore anymore and a new baby isn't a complete mystery anymore.  Stay tuned for more of Kate's adventures!


2 comments: