Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ornaments

The tree is up and it is beginning to look and feel a lot like Christmas despite the warm temperatures down south.  As I've said before, this Christmas is extra special since last year we skipped decorating and spent the weeks leading up to Christmas packing, moving, and stressing out over both of our closings going smoothly.  I got pretty sentimental pulling out my ornaments after not seeing them last year, so I thought I'd share a few of my favorites.

These flops always make me smile; they are whimsical, represent my favorite kind of footwear, and remind me of my sweet college roommate Caroline who gave them to me as a gift because she shares my love for bare feet.

This is a new ornament to our collection; a souvenir from our beach trip last year with Matt's college roomies.  Laura and I got teary in the store when we told the salesclerk about how our husbands lived together and now we were close friends too.  The names on the chairs are some of the people who know us best and it's fun to remember that vacation each year on our tree.
                         

I love A Christmas Carol, and even though I'm an adult I still think Mickey's Christmas Carol is the best version around of this classic story.  I watch it every year and got waaaaaay too excited when a few years ago Hallmark began their series of ornaments from the film.  Mickey just melts my heart.

We have several ornaments that recognize milestones in our lives, I think we have 3 from the year we got married and at least 2 each year we bought a house.  These are my favorite commemorative ornaments: 

It's hard to read, but the engraving says, "2005- Our First Christmas Together"
Love this little guy holding a key to a new home in 2006 when we bought our first house
A coworker gave me this as a going away gift last year to celebrate our new house in 2010

 Of course our tree also reflects the two places we've lived together.  From Bluegrass...
Inscription says, "Dear Santa, We want the best team in the land."  I turned him to face the TV during Saturday's thrilling win over UNC.
 to Palm trees...
SC state flag
It feels peaceful and cozy to be settled in a home this year where we can put up our tree.  There are many more ornaments and decorations that make me feel all warm and fuzzy, maybe before the season is up I'll take some pictures and share the stories behind more of them.  I love all the nostalgia the holiday season brings, so many wonderful traditions and reminders of joyful past Christmases.  Hope you have as much fun decorating this year as I did!
Der Nikolaus!
 

2 comments:

  1. Awww...this post made me miss you! I feel like lots of your posts do that :) Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet blog! Glad the Coon Pit got featured - that is still the vacation to beat (well, that and Hawaii). Miss you! But - get to see you in 18 short days!!

    ReplyDelete