Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My favorite books

A few weeks ago was National Library week. I meant to bore you with a list of some of my all time favorite books then, but I am just now getting around to it. Oh well, consider it more of a summer reading list instead of a tribute to library week.

I love to read (thanks, Mom!) and I don't think I could pick a favorite, but here are five that would definitely make my top 20 list. My criteria was simple- did I love it enough that I have read it more than once and know that I will be reading it again someday? So, here in no particular order, are five of the BEST books I have ever read:

1. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
If I tried to explain it, you'd think it sounds lame- 12th century English village tries to build a cathedral...boring. Oh, but it's not! I could not put it down. Two summers ago this giant novel was circulating the Montaplast Book Club (aka Alex) and the office was abuzz with speculation over which characters could be trusted and what the next plot twist would bring to our beloved townfolk. If you don't want to take my suggestion (first of all, then why are you reading my blog?), take it from Oprah, she lists this book among the top ten best books her book club ever read.

2. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Warning- this book will make you think. It might not be the best choice for a beach read, but it's brilliant and I promise it will challenge the way you look at society, government interference, human achievement, and individualism. It takes place in a dystopian world where all the great innovators have gone on strike and all productivity has stopped. It was written in the 1950's, but it's eerily relevant in light of the recent economic crisis in our country.

3. The Giver by Lois Lowry

I loved it in 7th grade when Mrs. Helms made us read it, and I still love it today. I get lost in this haunting future where there is no war and pain, but there's also no color, laughter, or love. It may be a children's book, but it still gives me chills everytime I read it. Unlike the first two books on this list which are both over 1,000 pages, this one is short and sweet and makes you realize a "perfect" world wouldn't be so great.

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

I have never become so entranced in a different world than when I read the Harry Potter series. And yes, after careful consideration I do choose book 7 as my favorite even though it drags a bit in the middle. The long awaited closure and the way Rowling manages to bring every detail full circle make this book the one I love most in the series. The first time I read it, I read the whole thing in one day. I don't think a book has ever made me gasp, laugh, cry, and shout out loud the way this one did. It is so vivid and engaging you become unaware of your surroundings, and that is the kind of book I will happily escape into again and again.

5. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

I don't often read nonfiction, but this story is so amazing you forget it's real- and then when you remind yourself that it is and Ms. Ten Boom actually lived it... well, if you're like me your eyes will well up with tears making the words on the pages so blurry that you will have to take a break. She's a concentration camp survivor and her story is full of courage, inspiration, and most importantly a God who even in the midst of horrific circumstances is faithful.

So there you have it, five of the best book recommendations I can make. Happy summer reading!

Wait! You say you hate books? Well, shame on you! Ok, I suppose if you want to spend your summer watching TV instead of reading I do have one suggestion I can give you for a show we recently became addicted to- Psych.

It has me giggling so much that we often have to pause the TV until we're finished laughing so that we don't miss whatever hysterical banter Shawn and Gus will carry on with next. We now walk around our house fist bumping, pointing, and saying "Whaaat?", "You know that's right!", "I've heard it both ways." and many of the other awesome catch phrases this duo uses. If you've watched it, you're probably laughing at all those quotes because you hear them in your head the hilarious way they say them. They solve crimes. They reference pop culture. They scream like girls. Watch and enjoy.

Oh, and I'd love to expand my list of favorite books so please suggest some of yours in the comments section so I can check them out!

4 comments:

  1. Fun post! My favorite book of all time is The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atlas Shrugged! I remember how I read that book for like 3 months, and then you borrowed it and read it in like 2 days! It's definitely in my top 3.

    To pick a favorite? I don't know if I could. So many choices! Others in the Top 10 though would have to include: Fahrenheit 451, Catch 22, and A Tale of Two Cities (it doesn't get good until late, but then it gets REALLY good). Oh yeah, and Breakfast of Champions. I guess I better stop....or this will be like its own blog-within-a-blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post - I will definitely have to add some of these to my reading list. Did you know that they made a movie of Atlas Shrugged. Well they actually just made part 1, I think there will be 3 parts total. But we saw it and it was good, so I have been wanting to read the book. I'll also have to check out Psych. I

    'm not sure if I could pick a favorite (or even 5), but an awesome one I recently read was Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller. I love all of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Pillars of the Earth several years ago. I loved it, I have the sequel World Without End if you are interested.
    I have read so many books over the years it is hard to choose. I do love Gone With the Wind, To Kill a Mockingbird, the Diana Giabalda series, Anne River Siddons, Julia Spencer-Fleming books, etc. The library is a definitely one of my favorite places in the world. I will check out the ones you posted I haven't read.

    ReplyDelete