Friday, March 15, 2013

More Mountain Weekend

As promised earlier this week, I'm back with some more details from our family reunion last weekend.  Here are some of the highlights...

A visit from Edith:
She held me as a baby, now she's met my baby
Edith was our adopted grandmother growing up in Charlotte (she even filled in and walked down the aisle in both mine and Claudia's weddings for our grandmas) and she now lives in Tryon which was right around the corner from where we stayed.  She joined us for lunch on Friday and was delighted to see Kate.

The crafty Easter Bunny comes early:
Finishing up the second sock
My Mom continues to amaze us with her knitting skills.  She made Kate the cutest little jumper for Easter, with matching booties.  The detail on this outfit was very impressive- scalloped edges, an intricate pattern, even a crocheted bow!  So much cuteness we could hardly stand it when Katherine modeled her new outfit:


Thanks Oma!  I love it!

Speaking of crafty family members, Claudia designed a family tree for my Dad as a birthday gift.  She's been doing some research on Ancestry.com lately and told me she was making a family tree and framing it as a gift.  My first thought was, well that's cool but who wants to display a huge chart or graph on the wall?  I should've known that my talented sister would come up with something beautiful that looks like a piece of art.

The branches and leaves represent our extended family back to my great grandparents, my Mom and Dad are the trunk, Claudia and I are the roots, and sweet baby Kate is the newest tiny little off shoot root at the bottom of the tree.  Dad loved it.


It kind of made our gift look lame in comparison, although I think the proud Opa was more than happy to get a framed photo of his favorite granddaughter along with some bottles of wine to celebrate the occasion.


Like I mentioned in my first blog post about the weekend, it was wonderful to be around family.  I'll wrap this up with one of my favorite candid shots from the weekend of Kate and my Mom smiling at each other:

I can't imagine what it must feel like to hold your baby's baby... but judging by the way Kate's grandmas both look at her, I'd guess it's a pretty amazing feeling

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I don't know which pic is best! The jumper! The family tree! The last one!! They're all so great! I love your picture filled posts. That Kate is something ELSE! What a beauty! I still can't tell who she resembles more - I think she looks so much like Matt, but then I see so much of you in her too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, your Mom needs to open an Etsy shop. I'd pay big bucks for a cute jumper like that for Margot!

    ReplyDelete