Thursday, March 14, 2013

Doctor's Visit


We just got back from Kate's two month check up.  It was a traumatic experience for both mother and daughter.  Poor baby got three shots that covered a variety of illnesses and I now know exactly what my child's "pain" cry sounds like- it is the most heart wrenching, piercing, frantic scream you've ever heard and it brought tears to my eyes too and made me want to punch the nurse in the face for inflicting such pain on my sweet baby.  I guess you could argue that polio, hepatitis, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, meningitis, pneumonia, epiglottitis, and the rota virus would also cause my child great pain.  Although, I've never heard of epiglottitis, so maybe they could've left that one out? (Nevermind.  I just consulted MayoClinic.com and have decided a life threatening condition that causes your windpipe to swell and blocks air from reaching the lungs is allowed to be included in the immunization cocktail they shot into my daughter today.)  Sadly the possible side effects from these vaccines include an irritable and drowsy child with a low grade fever and achiness for the next day or two which is lousy timing since Matt's parents and aunt are arriving tomorrow morning.  Let's hope since they are only possible side effects that none happen to Kate and she's alert and cheerful most of the time they're here.

On to the happier news from the doctor's appointment, Kate's growth is right on track and the doctor said she looked fabulous.  Here are her current stats, all above average for babies her age:

Weight: 10 pounds 13 ounces (62%)
Height: 23.5 inches (97%)
Head circumference: 39.5 centimeters (90%)

Her length at her last appointment was off the charts (22 inches), and since she's in the 97th percentile today she's still a long, lean babe.  We knew she was tall though since several of her newborn jammies don't accommodate her long legs anymore but the next size up, while good in length, is saggy around her torso.  I was thrilled to hear that her weight gain was good, especially since we cut back on the supplementing a few weeks ago and were giving her a 90% Mama's Milk diet this last month which she now seems to be thriving on.

In two months we get to go back for more torture, disease preventing immunizations, and I think I've already decided... Matt can take her to that appointment without me.


2 comments:

  1. awww!!! i wish i could give you both a big hug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be there tomorrow to help out with the cuddling.
    Glad she is doing so well. I know that hearing that made you feel great.
    I am with Claudia wish I were there to hug you both.

    ReplyDelete