Monday, December 10, 2012
Week 36
How far along: 36 weeks
Best moment this week: Visiting Adam, Sarah, and Laing in Charlotte on Saturday. It was great to see them, sweet Laing is so close to taking her first steps (update: she walked yesterday! We were one day too early to witness it.) and they generously sent us home with a car full of baby gear and clothes that she has outgrown. My work family also spoiled us with tons of items off our registry this week, now we're all stocked up and ready for our little lady to arrive and it feels good to be prepared!
What's new with baby: She probably weighs close to six pounds by now and I can definitely confirm that she has run out of space. I still feel constant movement, but it's much tighter and more constricted. She is shedding the waxy substance that has been protecting her skin in preparation for birth. She has been in the head down position for weeks now according to my midwife, but soon she'll be dropping even farther.
Mom is feeling: Ugh. That is the best way to describe my current condition. After 9 months of, "this isn't such a big deal" I am quickly understanding why the final weeks are the worst as far as comfort goes. With her head downward I've been feeling lots of extra pressure and twinges of pain. I occasionally have Braxton Hicks contractions that don't really hurt, but cause quite a bit of discomfort until they are over. Finding a good position to sit, sleep, drive a car, etc. is a challenge. The giant bump is always in the way. Even though I'm much more whiny lately, I'm also really trying to take advantage of this last pre-baby phase and enjoy it.
Weight gain: 30 pounds
Wardrobe: I'm reaching the point where some of the maternity shirts I bought early on are even fitting a bit snug! The smaller sizes are barely stretching all the way across my belly. Good thing the end is getting close!
Cravings: Nope.
Missing: My old body. The way I could spring up off the couch, put on my own socks, curl up in bed, and slide my desk chair under my desk while sitting in it. I'm really looking forward to having my mobility back, lugging around a nearly full term baby is exhausting and awkward!
Scared about: Becoming a zombie when I have a newborn. I have a bad history of how I react to sleep deprivation, usually I get sick to my stomach (jet lag, slumber parties, all nighters, etc.) and I'm scared that I'll be in such a fog that the whole infancy stage will be a blur.
Excited about: Christmas! This is the first year since we've been married that we won't be traveling for the holidays. I'll miss seeing family, but I'm also really looking forward to a quiet, peaceful Christmas at home for a change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yay yay yay! You look SO pretty - the calm before the storm - and I CANT WAIT!!! :)
ReplyDeleteSlumber parties and all-nighters are your own fault. This time you'll be up all night thanks to an undying love for your sweet baby and it's totally beyond your own control, so....it's not so bad. Will you be a zombie? Probably. Memories will be a blur? Yes, absolutely. But that's why we blog, isn't it? Jen, I am so terribly excited for you. Enjoy it. Breathe. You are a MAMA and you are amazing.
ReplyDelete