Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Week 35


How far along: 35 weeks

Best moment this week: The weekend was lazy and lovely.  Great weather, a fun cookout with neighbors, and more than one nap.  Sunday afternoon I was even a bit bored (in a good way, I'm enjoying this time of minimal obligations)! 

What's new with baby:  She is the size of a honeydew melon, over 5 pounds and over 18 inches long.  Most of her physical development is now complete, her internal organ systems are in working order and she will just spend the rest of her time putting on weight.

Mom is feeling:  Pretty good for a small walrus.  Seriously, I flap my arms (fins? What are walrus arms called?) in an embarrassing and feeble attempt to get myself in an upright position to get out of bed.  Usually I need assistance.  I sleep ok, but have graduated from one nightly bathroom trip to two or three. 

Weight gain: 28 pounds

Wardrobe:  Flip flop season is back!  I love South Carolina, even in December a string of sunny, 75 degree days is possible and not all that unusual.  I'm happy to be back in my comfy short sleeve dresses, maternity pants were becoming problematic because the bump is so round and far out that it would push the elastic waistband down.

Cravings:  Hot cocoa, even though it's not cold outside... tis' the season for warm, decadent drinks.

Missing: I would like to eat normal sized portions again. After two bites I'm "full" because my stomach is now so small and squished that a regular meal leaves me with heartburn and discomfort.  The problem is that after two bites I'm still hungry.  This must be what gastric bypass patients feel like, confusion over their inability to eat what was once the amount of food required to feel full.

Scared about:  Missing work for three months.  I'm looking forward to my maternity leave, and am very grateful for it, but the longer I train someone to do my job... the more I realize that the control freak inside me would much rather just do it myself so that I know it's being done correctly.

Excited about: How close I am to being finished with this pregnancy.  It's been surprisingly easy, and a time full of joy and anticipation... but I'm getting more and more antsy to meet this little girl!

1 comment: