Thursday, December 13, 2012

Full Term

Today I am officially 37 weeks pregnant and considered full term!  We made it!  However... saying this pregnancy is complete is far from accurate.  Did you know (according to the Internet, so it must be true- but I did check several medical sites and they seem to agree for the most part) it's almost a perfect bell curve when it comes to which week of pregnancy women spontaneously go into labor after the 37 week mark?

37 weeks: 5%
38 - 39 weeks: 10%
39 - 40 weeks: 20 %
40 - 41 weeks: 35%
41 - 42 weeks: 20%
Over 42: 10%

In theory this should mean that there's as good of a chance of a Christmas baby (around 39 weeks) as and Epiphany baby (around 41 weeks).  The odds aren't the same though because there are also lots of statistics floating around on the Internet that first time pregnancies are more likely to go beyond the 40 week mark.  My midwife on Tuesday told me that since I've had a healthy, normal pregnancy she would guess I would continue to be normal and she doesn't expect to see this baby until after the new year.  That's ok with us, even though I'm ready to meet her it's more important that she waits until she's ready.  And who knows, she might be ready early and want to celebrate the holidays with us this year.  As a Christmas Season Baby myself, I wouldn't blame her a bit, it's a wonderful time of year.  I guess we'll know the answer sometime in the next month or so!

Note: I do not know this baby or own this photo.  I found it on Pinterest.

1 comment: