Sunday, February 5, 2012

Invasion

Yesterday Kentucky fans invaded Columbia (and I don't just mean Matt's parents, I mean the 10,000 of us that gave SC their largest attendance of the year).  Everywhere we went all day we saw blue.  Local restaraunts and bars were overflowing with UK fans, cars on the street had Kentucky flags flying, strangers were yelling "Go Cats" in the street and other groups of the Big Blue Nation were proudly yelling it back.  Together we turned the Kentucky vs. South Carolina game last night into a home court advantage for our beloved Wildcats on the road.  Even Coach Cal tweeted before the game, "Is this a home game?"  because it sure did feel that way...
Above is the view from our seat about 30 minutes before the game started, as you can tell, there was more blue than garnet present.  The atmosphere was great, we managed to get an arena wide "Go Big Blue" chant going several times, and the upper arena had a "Blue-White" chant and a "Jarrod Polson" chant going at one point.  Other highlights of course included the 86-52 victory full of memorable dunks, blocks, and all around entertaining basketball.
Downtown Columbia felt like Lexington yesterday and it was a warm spring day full of good food, good company, and good basketball.  I've got more weekend highlights and pictures to come later, I just had to blog about last night's game while the excitement was fresh on my mind!

2 comments: