Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Goodbye Delicious Drinks

Last year I gave up cookies for Lent.  This year I was trying to think of something equally indulgent that would require discipline and sacrifice for me to part with until Easter.  First, I decided to quit drinking sweet tea.
Living in Kentucky the tea was usually sweet, but it's a bit of a border state.  However living in South Carolina, there is no question- if you order tea it will be sweet, very sweet!  Mmm!  The more I thought about giving up my lunchtime pick-me-up of sweet tea, the more I realized that tea isn't the only beverage I add sugar to in order to make it tastier.  My favorite thing to pour into my morning coffee is a generous amount of White Chocolate Caramel Latte Coffee Mate creamer. 
Seriously.  I could drink this plain, forget about the coffee.  In fact, since I'm giving up creamer for Lent I think this means I am giving up coffee by default because I don't want any without a sizeable amount of sugary goodness swirling around in it.  Along the same lines, I will be abandoning my trusty supplement to an otherwise boring glass of milk- no more chocolate syrup.
So there you have it.  I am giving up the things I add to my drinks (sugar, cream, and syrup) for Lent this year.  I can still have the plain, healthy versions of unsweet tea (what's the point?), black coffee (bitter and sad) and regular milk (this one I'm ok with but it isn't as yummy).  I wonder if my seven week hiatus will result in less cavities and better fitting pants.  It's going to be tough, I obviously am quite fond of turning my drinks into desserts but I feel like if I don't pick something that I'm really going to crave then I've lost the whole point of fasting.  Is anyone else bidding adieu to a favorite comfort food this Ash Wednesday?  Good luck if you are, and goodbye (for now) my super sweetened drinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment