Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Bacon. A Love Story.

Since it's Valentine's Day, I thought I'd share a story with you because it just happened this weekend, and I think it's one of the many great examples of what love looks like.  On Sunday afternoon Matt said he was going to make a sandwich.  I was not hungry, I think I even said, "We just had breakfast!" (We usually eat breakfast when we get home from church, making it more like brunch.)  He goes to the kitchen while I watch Sports Center hoping for highlights from our game.  About ten minutes later I smell it.  Bacon. Suddenly lunch seems like a good idea, a bacon/turkey/havarti sandwich is exactly what my day needs.

I go to the kitchen and start fixing my sandwich.  Matt continues tending to his pan of sizzling, popping, crispy bacon.  Then I say, "Can I have some bacon?" and he hands me a strip.  Suddenly I realize he had been frying two pieces of bacon for his sandwich, and he just handed me half of his wonderful thick cut, hardwood smoked sandwich topping, like it was no big deal.

I'm not proud to admit this, but if the roles had been reversed I think I would have said, "This is my bacon. Make your own bacon!  I asked you if you wanted lunch, and you said no!  I made enough to cover my sandwich, you can't come in here after I'm done frying bacon and expect me to give it to you!!"  At this point I try to give the bacon back to him because I feel guilty for stealing part of his lunch.  He would not accept it.  And that, is love.

Last night I decided to make some Oreo Truffles for Matt for Valentine's Day since this story is just one of the many examples of how unselfish and sweet he is to me all the time.
I hope you have a happy Valentine's Day and that there's someone special in your life who does not hesitate to share their bacon (or anything else) with you!

2 comments:

  1. what a great story!! I hope that picture of you two is blown up HUGE and hanging in your house - it's great :) Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I would stab anyone who came close to my bacon. You've got a keeper!

    ReplyDelete