Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fall Favorites

It's the most wonderful time of the year!  Well, to me at least.  Ever since moving to South Carolina three years ago (wow, that went by fast), I like fall even better because it doesn't mean the ominous foreboding of gray, icy, shivery winter anymore.  Fall in South Carolina is a lot like I imagine summer is up north- warm, low humidity filled sunny days with cool, but not cold, evenings and early mornings.  Yes, the summers can be hot and sticky, but I'll gladly take three months of stifling heat to have nine months of pleasant, mild temperatures.  Actually, this was one of the coolest summers on record in SC, we rarely (and barely) hit three digit heat.

Here's a quick round up of some of my seasonal favorites.

*Pumpkin flavored treats

You might remember last year the baby in my belly had an aversion to a pumpkin spice latte and I was devastated.  It's a good thing Kate is cute, or I might still hold a whole season of missed deliciousness against her.  This year though, no finicky fetus to worry about!
Shut the front door.  I need to get these (available only at Target).
*Scarves

I own way too many, but they're such an easy, inexpensive, and fun way to dress up a boring outfit and embrace the coziness of fall that I can't resist continuing to add to my collection.

*Sweaters

Since I work in an air conditioned igloo, I take a cardigan to work everyday even in the sweltering heat, but now the mornings are crisp and chilly and perfect for wearing a sweater first thing.  Even Baby Kate has joined in on the trend by starting to wear the adorable sweater my Mom knit for her.
Thanks Oma! Cozy, comfy, and cute!

*Fall TV premieres

This is a lame thing to put on the list, but after a summertime drought of quality prime time TV, I'm glad that the new season of shows is starting up again.  Kate is sound asleep by 7:00 (sometimes earlier) and then we're housebound for the rest of the evening.  Unwinding in front of the TV, often with cookies and cocoa (or a tall glass of milk- Santa style) is a nightly ritual.
Too bad this cutie isn't on TV, I'd definitely tune in to the "Kate Show" 
 *Fall Holidays

This season brings Halloween, our anniversary, and my favorite- Thanksgiving.  This year we will also be celebrating Columbus Day because the daycare is closed.  A random three day weekend with my little pumpkin? Sounds like a perfect excuse to use up a vacation day!
Sneak peek of  Halloween fun to come courtesy of the family knitter
*Basketball season

Only a few more weeks until there's a sport I enjoy watching again, and this year begins with big hype and promise for our team.

I've always loved fall, but just like everything this year, this one will be extra special because it's Kate's first fall.  Her first trip to a pumpkin patch, her first time trick or treating, her first taste of Thanksgiving turkey, and at the rate she's going... her first steps could be taken in some colorful, crunchy fallen leaves.  What are your favorite fall things that I left off the list?

Kate might have to start wearing two socks if she's going to make it through cooler weather


2 comments:

  1. From Carina via e-mail...
    Meine Lieblingsdinge im Herbst sind:

    - - Kürbissuppe
    - Waldspaziergänge und dabei Blätter und Früchte für meine Klasse sammeln (Die müssen sie dann bestimmen)
    - - Schach spielen eingewickelt in eine dicke Decke und heißen Tee
    - - Die Hochzeit meiner besten Freundin am 31. Oktober
    - - Das Licht: Ich liebe es wenn die Sonne tief steht und durch die bunten Blätter scheint
    - - Spieleabende mit Freunden

    ReplyDelete