From the moment Kate was born, the most popular comment we received from anyone who saw photos or met her was: "Look at all that hair!" Her locks were not only thick and beautifully dark, but quite long too. After her first bath at two weeks we already needed to run a comb through the wet hair afterwards. Strangers would stop me at the grocery and comment on how much hair my son (in the pink outfit) had, and tell me how their child/niece/neighbor didn't have as much hair as my two month old until they were two years old. Yep, we talked about her hair a lot and I couldn't imagine her without it, it's part of her personality somehow.
 |
| One day old |
None of it ever fell out, although over time some bald spots where she liked to sleep all day did emerge. By five months she had a miniature mullet as the sides could no longer keep up with the quickly growing top and back. When she would get hot and sweaty in her car seat her hair would spring up in sticky little ringlets all down her neck.
Over the last two months a great debate has raged within me regarding when and if I should cut my baby's hair.
 |
| Yikes! Seven month photo shoot- profile view |
I came to the realization that instead of people commenting on how pretty or long or dark Kate's hair was... they were talking about how funny or scraggly it was! The redneck look had to go. I thought I'd be more emotional about her first haircut, but since it was really just a quick snip across the back and from the front nothing changed I didn't mind it.
I think she looks adorable, a cute little summer cut while we wait for the sides to catch up so that I can put that girl in some pigtails! I'm glad the ragamuffin look is gone and kind of sorry I wasn't brave enough to do it sooner.
 |
| From the front- no difference |
 |
| From the side- no more stray rat tails creeping down her neck! |
No comments:
Post a Comment