Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Week 34


How far along: 34 weeks

Best moment this week:  Celebrating my favorite holdiay, Thanksgiving!

What's new with baby:  She is the size of a cantaloupe, weighing close to 5 pounds and probably measuring around 18 inches long!  Her fat layers, which will help regulate her body temperature once she's born, are filling out making her rounder (and cuter).  I can tell she's hit another growth spurt, she's lodged rather uncomfortably under my ribs a lot of time and I know she's running out of space in there.  Despite the cramped living conditions, she happily interacts with her Daddy when prodded and really seems to like Christmas music.

Mom is feeling: Worn out.  I don't sleep very well, I wake up several times during the night and can't seem to fall back asleep easily.  Lack of sleep, lack of room for my lungs to take a deep breath, and my awkward shape have made me feel rather sluggish and fatigued.  We toured the hospital this past week and it made everything seem a lot more imminent now that we can picture where we will be when we meet her.  Seeing the brand new babies basking under heat lamps in the nursery melted my heart and got me all giddy for when one of them has a bracelet on her ankle with my name on it.

Weight gain:  Ugh, up 27 pounds at my appointment today.  I guess my body doesn't metabolize Thanksgiving desserts like it used too. 
Wardrobe:  It's chilly in the mornings...and my jackets can't zip up.  I refuse to buy a maternity coat though, I only have a few weeks left and it's warm by the afternoon.  I might be raiding Matt's closet soon to see if he has an old winter coat that will button up over the bump.  For the most part though, I'm still very hot natured and don't think I'll need many warm clothes.

Cravings:  As usual, nothing pregnancy related, just the normal holiday longings for all things sweet and nostalgic.

Missing: That, "ahhh... I sure am well rested" feeling.  I haven't had that in a long time, and the harsh truth is that even after I can sleep on my stomach again and get a full breath of air... life with a new baby won't exactly allow me to fall back into my old 10+ hours a night sleep pattern anytime soon.

Scared about: Delivering a giant baby.  We have no reason to suspect she is anything above average size, but I keep wondering about the logistics of how a whole human, no matter what size, will be able to get out.

Excited about: Hanging an extra stocking by the fireplace this year!  I know it's unlikely that she'll arrive before Christmas (although it is possible), but I still want her to have a stocking this year.  I think one of the things I'm most looking forward to for the coming years of parenthood is having a little one around during the holidays and watching all the magic of the season through their eyes.  I can't wait to read her Christmas books, bake cookies, sing carols, and watch her excitement opening presents.  She might not be here by Christmas, but our mantle needs 3 stockings this year in anticipation of all the memorable Christmases to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment