Sunday, October 23, 2011

Burgers, Beach, and Bocce Ball

One of our favorite perks about living in Columbia is that we can be at the beach in two hours.  Matt's parents are spending the week vacationing at Wild Dunes on Isle of Palms and they didn't have to offer twice for us to jump on the idea of swinging by for a visit.  Friday night we met up with them at Poe's on Sullivan's Island for some delicious burgers.  I ventured out and got the fried egg on a burger instead of my usual crabcake on a burger and it was delicious.  Then we pulled out the sleeper couch in their condo and settled in after a nighttime stroll on the beach looking for shooting stars.
Above is Mariner's Walk, the condo complex John and Peggy like to stay at, and with the perfect ocean views from the screen porch and easy beach access I can see why.  On Saturday morning we went for a walk on the beach, it was a chilly morning (in the 50's) but don't worry, I was in my swimsuit a few hours later (when temps were pleasant in the 70's).
The water was cool, but I couldn't resist dipping my toes in.  We were hunting for sand dollars but the only ones we found were broken.  I did encounter this giant, scary horseshoe crab shell... yikes!
Once it warmed up we engaged in a riveting round of Bocce Ball.  It was team Wheeler vs. team Wheeler, and the battle was intense as these great action shots below prove.
John and Peggy won, I think it was because they were the blue team, clearly a superior color to red.  You can almost feel the concentration below as Peggy aims for the Panini ball (ok, that's not what it's called, but I can't remember the real name and panini is close).  I think I am walking away in shame.
Here Matt surveys where our bocce balls landed.  It doesn't look good for team red. 
Hmm... maybe it was my clumsy stance that cost us the game?  I think I look slightly off balance in the photo below, next time I will have to work on that and maybe there will be a different outcome. 
The winners, smiling not just because they beat us at Bocce Ball, but also because they get to spend the rest of the week relaxing on the beach while we're back at work:
It was a wonderful mini-vacation and I'd like to mention to all my lovely readers that if you're ever renting a place at the beach and want visitors we'd be more than happy to crash!

Thanks John and Peggy, we had a lot of fun and hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation!

1 comment:

  1. What a great mini-getaway! Looks like you had fun - their condo is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete