Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ready, set, scrape!

I thought this day would come sooner. However, two much more exciting things happened instead that delayed it.

1.) I found a new job much quicker than I could've dreamed (woo hoo!)

2.) We've had more visitors these past 3 months than I think we did in the 5 years we lived in Kentucky (yipee for family and friend who love us!)

Both of these things meant that we have had very little time to tackle any projects around our new house. This weekend marks 4 months since we moved in and I think it's time we start updating it.

Since the crazy weekend trip in mid November when I came down to scope out the house Matt had found I always thought I'd start with the kitchen since it clearly needs the most work.

However, it just seems too daunting of a task for me. "But Jennifer!" you say, "I've read your blog! I saw where you transformed this:

into this:
within the first four months of living at the old house! You're not scared of anything!"

Actually, that's not true. I'm scared of a lot of things:

-Noises our dishwasher makes at night
-Weapons of mass destruction
-Alligators
-Cruise control
-Swine flu
-Lady Gaga
-Black holes... just to name a few off the top of my head.

And of course, the wallpaper in our new kitchen. There's just so dang much of it. In such awkward places. Like all the way up the staircase:

So I started asking myself, 'Shouldn't our master suite feel like a retreat?' Currently our bedroom is a disorganized hodge podge of mismatched furniture against some stark walls. (see proof below)
And our master bathroom has a chaotic floral motif that screams, "this is not your house!" everytime I look at it.

How would you like to get ready every morning in a room that makes you feel ugly and instantly adds forty years to your age?
Right now I'm in what I like to call the "daydream" phase of a home improvement project. Today I'm daydreaming about what our bedroom and bathroom might look like if I could find the motivation to start the work necessary to get it there. I'm finding my inspiration from pictures like this of the Tara Beach Suites which is where we stayed on our honeymoon:


I haven't started yet, and have to convince my renovation accomplice (and myself) that I have a plan, the willpower, and the budget to start this... but stay tuned because hopefully very soon we'll be peeling wallpaper, painting walls, and sleeping in a modern and relaxing master suite.

4 comments:

  1. yay for redecorating!! can't wait to see what you do with it - your bathroom transformation at your old house was amazing. I don't know how close you are to an Ikea, but they have a bed like the one in your inspiration picture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That canopy bed looks awesome. If I lived in a true southern climate like you do, I'd get that bed for sure.

    I do love the scalloped trim wall paper the most. It's really classy....and I'll really be sad to see you take it down.

    FYI...Run for the Nun is on our Anniversary....in case you want to show up with signage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww grrrrl. You go GET your scrape on! You better include a pic of you balancing precariously on a ladder perched on the steps to reach that ridiculously high stairwell wallpaper; when the time comes, of course. The master suite is a great place to start. I can't think of anything I hate more than ugly bathroom wallpaper. Have fun! Good luck! Pictures, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see how it all turns out! Whenever I get my act together to come see you I'll help out!

    ReplyDelete