Saturday, February 12, 2011

New job vs. old job

I've only been at my new job for two weeks, so I guess it's normal that I compare everything about it to my old job because Montaplast is still fresh in my mind. Although I'm performing very similar functions (processing payments, financial reporting, etc.) the two work places couldn't be more different. As I started listing all the things I like about N. W. White it became apparent to me that everything I like is something that I didn't have at Montaplast, which is probably why these things stand out to me right now. I had a good run at the Plast, and I miss the people there very much... but here's a few reasons why change is good and I'm happy at my new job:

-I can wear jeans, sneakers, and a sweatshirt on Fridays.

-I can listen to the radio in my office.

-I have my own office and I am allowed to decorate it however I want. So far this just means that the UK calendar Anna gave me as a going away gift is hanging on my wall.

-There is no time clock for salaried employees.

-Management is approachable, friendly, and genuinely interested in my ideas.

-There is a Chick-fil-A less than 5 minutes away. (Ok, so it wasn't Montaplast's fault that there were inadequate lunch options nearby, but the proximity to such a fine dining choice is definitely a positive for N.W. White.)

-Visitors are welcome. Nobody could get past the lobby at Montaplast. In just two weeks I've met more family members of my co-workers than I did in 5 years at the Plast because they are frequently stopping in to visit, bring food, show off grandchildren, and so on.

-On my first day they took me around and introduced me to everyone, then they sent out a company wide e-mail announcing the personnel change. They really made me feel welcome. I got three free lunches that week because different people kept inviting me out and then offering to pay. Any of my former co-workers reading this know how much we missed the mark on this one, new people would be there for months before we knew their names.

-The commute is much shorter.

I know this list seems like "little things," and they are. But I think it's these little things that will make me enjoy my job more. I know it will still take some time before I feel completely comfortable there, it's off to a good start though!

2 comments: