Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bathroom meets the new millenium

We have finished our master bath facelift! Before you scroll down to see the "after" shots, I think we need to take a brief moment to remember the ugliness that was the "before" photo:

There are a few things wrong with this picture. Can you spot them?

1.) The carpet. Who thought carpet would be a good idea in a room where you are often wet?

2.) The 70's style harvest gold toilet. How am I ever supposed to know if I've cleaned it properly?

3.) The wallpaper. It was a huge pain to remove and did nothing to enhance the room decor while it was up.

So... in the hopes that a few updates (we replaced everything except the shower which is still yellow but we're hoping that the other cosmetic upgrades will overshadow it) would attract a buyer, here's the result:


Here's a close up of the new tile floor:And another close up of one of my favorite new touches, a robe hook for that swanky, modern spa feel:

This is one of the pictures where you see a glimpse of the yellow shower if you look in the mirror. I don't think it's nearly as distracting thanks to the neutral color (called olivewood) we painted the wall, and the clean simple black and white accents. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.


It took...

13 days from start to finish,

3 trips to Lowe's,

4 trips to Home Depot,

and 1 trip to Target.

We had hoped to do all the work ourselves, but after the demolition was done and we discovered our subfloor was rotten underneath the carpet, we called in a pro to fix it and lay down the tile. The black you see in the pictures below is the lovely surprise we found:


Other than the flooring, the rest of the work was easy enough. Now that the bathroom is presentable we are one step closer to calling the realtor and getting our house on the market!

4 comments:

  1. W.O.W. Jen - that is amazing!! I can't believe you did the toilet and sink install on your own - BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great upgrade. It looks fantastic and will add so much to your home. We re-did our bathroom after we moved in and it was one heck of a job, and we didn't even replace the sink and toilet like you did! Love the black and white. Love the paint color. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should have hired you all when we did our bath.
    Great job. I am impressed. You two move a lot faster than John and I.
    Love the colors and the vanity.

    ReplyDelete