Thursday, March 3, 2016

Gran

Thanksgiving 2013 - one of my favorite memories of Gran telling stories to Kate
Last week Matt's maternal grandmother, Lucille Gray, was hospitalized rather suddenly, and passed away surrounded by family on Wednesday, February 24th 2016.  She was 87 years old, the last grandparent we had, and the matriarch of an extraordinary family that I am blessed to also call my own.  From the first time I met Gran, when Matt and I were still dating, she gave me a hug and welcomed me into her home for Thanksgiving and always treated me like one of her grandchildren.

Gran with Luke last summer

Fourth of July 2015
She loved rocking babies, cardinals, videos of Kate, her recliner, and made delicious homemade dressing.  Nothing got past her, she was sharp and had a great sense of humor.  I don't think I ever heard her say anything unkind about anyone, she was a sweet Christian woman who had a way of making everyone feel like her favorite.

Spring in South Carolina - 2012
Charleston, SC 2012 
The preacher at the funeral used the word "legacy" and I thought it was perfect.  Gran was lucky enough to live to see one of her children's children's children's children (that's a great-great grandchild if you lost track) in addition to knowing and doting on eight great grandchildren!  Isn't that the picture of a life well lived and a goal for all of us?  To see that your family, for several generations down, is happy and devoted to being there for each other?

Most of the family... minus Ross, Chaney, Jacqueline, Cam, and Luke


I have so many special and fun memories of visits to the farm in the last thirteen years and the evenings spent sitting around chatting with Gran after the crowd had gone home.  For holidays, Gran's house was the spot for family gatherings and so on Saturday after the family buried her next to Matt's granddad, Furman Edward Gray (Luke's middle namesake), they all gathered together in her living room to grieve but also to laugh, to remember, to celebrate.  And while we all noticed her absence, I know I also felt her presence, because when the Gray clan is all together she is there.

Tradition
The kids were excellent travelers last week, they slept well, behaved during the visitation and funeral, and provided a welcome distraction during a difficult time.  I love that Gran knew them, that she sent them so many cards that I have all kept to show them someday, and that the farm will still be a place we can visit to remember the past.

Great-Gran and Kate: two similar peas in a pod snacking on sweets


When dealing with the heartache of loss I'm sure a lot of us reflect on our own life and wonder what a legacy we would be leaving behind.  For me, I find that the answer is very simple- faith, hope, and love, and the greatest of these is love (1 Corinthians 13:13).  Gran loved us dearly, and we loved her too, and in the end that really is all that matters.

2 comments: