Being so tired some days that you can't move once you sit down, but as soon as your baby cries you jump up with sudden energy and run into their room because they need you. Bursting with pride when your child accomplishes something. Being exasperated, frustrated, annoyed and impatient. Second guessing yourself. Getting teary eyed while you watch your baby sleep. Feeling like your heart might explode. Answering the same question over and over again. Tying the same pink sneakers over and over again. Sometimes not recognizing who you have become and then wondering for a brief moment what life might be like if you didn't have kids, and immediately discarding it because you wouldn't ever choose that life over this one. Play doh, puzzles, puppets, pacifiers, and playgrounds. Reading the same book over and over again. Sneaking off to eat cookies away from a curious toddler. Disgusting messes involving a variety of bodily functions. Being completely scatterbrained. Little arms wrapped so tightly around your neck that you never want them to let go or grow up. Car seats, cribs, crayons, and coffee... lots more coffee than you ever drank before. It is hard, and it is easy, because you finally know what it feels like to love unconditionally.
I don't always like being a Mom, but I do always love it. That statement doesn't even make sense, and neither does a lot of motherhood. It's puzzling how you can love someone small so much more than anything you've ever loved when all they do at first is deprive you of sleep and create endless piles of laundry. But you do. The greatest role and privilege of my life is being a mother to these two children. I am thankful for them, and because of them I am even more thankful for my own mother this Mother's Day.
![]() |
| Storytime with Oma, a professional! |
A big thank you and happy Mother's day also needs to go out to Peggy, because I owe a lot of my success and sanity as a mother to Matt, and therefore to her as well.
I know with each new stage my kids go through there will be humble moments where I need to call my Mom and say thanks (and maybe sorry too). To all the moms who read my blog... thank you and have a wonderful Mother's day!
![]() |
| These shirts might be 10 years old, but if it still fit I'd wear it again today |





Ohhh, the TEARS!!! So beautifully written, Jen, and so, so true. Somewhere around bedtime each night (which takes a solid two hours on most regular nights at my house) I imagine what I would think if my 24-year-old self could catch a glimpse of all....this......WORK that I'm doing! It's crazy! But it's life. It's normal. It's motherhood and I wouldn't change a thing! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day and that your sweet little peanuts are letting you get some sleep :)
ReplyDelete