Unfortunately I don't get to see my extended family very often but that makes the rare times we are together even more special. My aunt Maria, my mom's sister, is currently touring the US and I was thrilled to find out that on an itinerary packed full of exciting big cities like New York, Orlando, and San Francisco, she and Manfred would also be stopping in Columbia to see us!
It has been six years since I saw her the last time I was in Germany, but the great thing about family is that no matter how long it's been since you were together they know who you are and they understand where you come from and therefore will always be some of the people who know you best. It was great catching up, hearing some new stories I didn't know about my grandparents, and of course introducing them to Kate, the newest and smallest family member.
 |
| Kate and Manfred- best pals immediately |
Kate found a new best friend in Manfred and she happily brought him books and toys all weekend long. Whenever he came into the room she'd start pointing excitedly. It was really cute and his experience as a grandpa was obvious in their comfortable, playful interactions.
 |
| Let's hold hands! Don't leave me! |
We didn't have much planned, visiting was the main item on our agenda, and besides going out to a delicious dinner at Carraba's on Saturday we spent the weekend playing with Kate, watching Olympics, and going for a walk around the neighborhood.
 |
| Story time with Great-Aunt Maria, she brought Kate some adorable German finger puppet books |
I know (I hope) one day we will be able to take Kate to Germany and let her meet all of my family and see part of her heritage. In the meantime I love that she was able to spend a weekend with Maria and Manfred, more proof that when we tell her that people all over the world love her, we aren't kidding.
I know you enjoyed every minute with Maria and Manfred. Family is the best and Kate definitely has some wonderful heritage. I hope you and Matt do get to share that with her one of these days.
ReplyDelete