Sunday, January 6, 2013

Week 40



How far along: 40 weeks

Best moment this week: Being told that our baby was "perfect" at my weekly appointment.  What parent doesn't like to hear that about their kid?  It was fun to see her sweet face and a relief to hear that things continue to be exactly as they should.

What's new with baby: She's ready!  All signs at the biophysical profile test pointed to a healthy birth weight, strong reflexes, and an adorable little face.  She still moves regularly and is hopefully making her final preparations for birth, scooting down into a better position and practicing her breathing for that first big breath.

Mom is feeling:  Impatient.  Uncomfortable.  And nervous about the many unknowns coming our way in the next few days/weeks.  Mostly though I'm just very happy that with each day we're a little bit closer to meeting her.

Weight gain:  36 pounds

Wardrobe:  Footwear has become my biggest challenge because my feet, ankles, even my toes are totally puffy and swollen.

Cravings:  Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  I keep talking about it but haven't had any, and it's not usually my first pick as a cake flavor if I'm going to eat cake.  I think that's what the baby wants as her birthday cake though, with some vanilla ice cream.  I keep telling her that if she'd come then we'd see about getting some.

Missing:  Wearing my wedding ring.  I had someone ask me if I was still with the father of my child the other day.  I really feel like I could write a whole post about the rude/crazy things complete strangers feel are ok to ask or say to a pregnant woman.  It's not just for the outward proof of marital status though, I really just miss feeling my rings on my left hand, it weird without them but they don't fit anymore.

Scared about:  Knowing when it's the right time to go to the hospital.  Something tells me this is a silly thing to worry about though, and once it's the real thing I won't be questioning if it's time.

Excited about: The odds keep getting better and better that this is my last weekly pregnancy blog post!  I'm so glad I did this to document the journey, but it also sometimes felt like a weekly chore or homework that I "had to do" each week.  It will be much more fun to write about what's new with our baby than what's new with me.

3 comments:

  1. You are right about people being rude. Amazing isn't it?
    I know you are so ready. You are just making baby girl too comfortable.
    I remember when John and I were headed to the hospital it really hit me and I said to John, "I'm not sure about this." He said, "Too late, should have thought about that 9 months ago." All went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxiously awaiting your post that says "She's Here!" I'm so excited to read about your delivery experience, see her cute pictures, and learn her name! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking to myself - the longer you're pregnant, the shorter your L&D will be, right?!?! LOVE YOU!! Can't wait for 'the call' :-)

    ReplyDelete