The last five days have been a complete blur! We're exhausted, but loving every minute of getting to know our sweet baby. Before I forget all the details of the last crazy week, here's a quick recap...
Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:00 p.m. - I start having contractions, nothing too unusual for me especially in the evenings.
Friday, January 11, 2013, 4:00 a.m. - I've been up all night with contractions, they are getting stronger, longer, and more frequent and have been going on for hours... could this finally be it?
Friday, 7:00 a.m. - I am admitted to the hospital and confirmed to be in labor! Contractions are 3 minutes apart, I'm almost completely effaced, but still only at 1 centimeter. It's going to be a long morning.
Friday, 12:30 p.m - After working through the pain with Matt and our amazing doula, Dianne, I am told that I am still only at 1 centimeter. The midwife suggests trying some Pitocin to keep things moving. I reluctantly agree, scared of what the Pitocin will do to my already intense contractions.
Friday, 1:20 p.m. - I can't take it anymore. Completely exhausted 13 hours into labor I ask for an epidural. The procedure feels freaky, but then I start to feel better.
Friday, 10:00 p.m. - I am at 10 centimeters. The room is prepared for the baby to arrive and I begin pushing.
Friday, 11:30 p.m. - No progress. The midwife expresses concern that the baby's head might be too big for me to deliver. The bring in another doctor for a second opinion. He says I might be able to get the head out, but that her shoulders could get stuck based on how big she is. They leave the decision up to me at this point and I tell them I want to keep pushing... I don't believe my body would make a baby bigger than it could get out.
Saturday, 12:30 a.m. - No luck pushing. They tell me I can't push all night, I have 30 minutes to give it all I've got and then we're heading into surgery. At this point, almost 26 hours into labor, I'm disappointed, defeated, and don't object to their medical opinions anymore. After 30 more minutes of pure determination, they prep me for surgery.
Saturday, 1:22 a.m. - Katherine Elizabeth Wheeler is born. She weighs 8 lbs. 8 oz. (3.855 kg) and is 21.75 inches long (55.245 cm).
 |
| First family photo, seconds after she was born |
 |
| Daddy holds Kate's hand while she gets checked out |
Saturday, January 12, 2013 sometime around 4:00 a.m.- I am taken from the post-surgery room to my recovery room at the hospital where I get to hold my baby for the first time:
 |
| First snuggle |
Saturday, January 12th: Our baby girl's birthday! I don't remember much of this day since I was on powerful pain relievers and in and out of consciousness most of it. I remember being hungry but not allowed to eat (at this point it had been since Thursday night since I'd had any food) and I remember wanting to take a shower but also not being allowed to do so until 24 hours post-surgery. We dozed off and on throughout the day in our recovery room and couldn't stop staring at our daughter. The hospital staff was amazing, and even though the interrupted us constantly, they were all extremely helpful in teaching me how to nurse and taking good care of me and Kate during our stay.
 |
| The birthday girl |
 |
| Glad she's finally here! |
Sunday, January 13, 2013: Kate's grandparents come to visit in the hospital!
 |
| Love at first sight |
 |
| Hi Gramps! |
 |
| Last time they held a baby with this much hair... it was Matt |
The visit was short, but perfect since I was still pretty out of it one day after surgery.
 |
| How Kate and I spent most of our time in the hospital- sound asleep. |
Monday, January 14, 2013: Even though we're supposed to stay one more night at the hospital, I start asking to be released. We've been there 3 nights already, they just don't count the first night since she was born after midnight. Luckily since both of us are healthy, we are discharged around lunchtime!
 |
| Grumpy face doesn't realize she's about to go home |
 |
| Why yes... our baby is barefoot in January... it was 80 degrees the day we brought her home. We had to turn the A/C on. |
 |
| Waiting on our ride home |
 |
| First car ride, not a peep out of this little one |
 |
| Testing out her crib |
 |
| Relaxing in the sun, doctor's orders for her mild case of jaundice |
 |
| Testing out her rocking chair |
Tuesday, January 15, 2013: We begin adjusting to life as a family of three. Kate has a doctor's appointment in the morning, Mommy has a doctor's appointment in the afternoon, and in between there's lots of napping and eating.
 |
| I finally get to eat that birthday cake I'd been dreaming about! |
 |
| Welcome Home! |
 |
| Ooooooh! C-A-T-S! Kate sleeps through her first basketball game. |
Wednesday, January 16, 2013: The sleep deprivation is starting to catch up to me. I feel disoriented and extremely tired, but I also can't explain how much joy I also feel everytime I look at little Kate. She had another pediatrician's appointment this morning and her jaundice levels are going back down while her weight is going back up so everything is looking great. I feel a bit more mobile everyday and am recovering slowly, but each day does get better. I already can't believe how much she has changed in just five days, and we're soaking up every second of this precious time.
Congrats lady! I am sorry it wasn't how you planned, but so glad that you have a healthy baby girl out of it!! You get to have labor "war stories" now :) and unfortunately I know you got a doozie of a story...I always think that the women who have to go through a WHOLE labor process and then the surgery get hit with a double whammy. But it sounds like you are recovering nicely!! Baby Kate is beautiful, and now you get to join the club of moms with babies who look just like their dads. But don't worry - I have a feeling she will like you best, even if she looks like Matt..haha!
ReplyDeleteSo good to hear from you!!! I'm glad to read an update since I've been trying not to break that don't-call-the-mom-of-a-newborn rule. (it's right up there with ringing the doorbell) Glad to hear you're getting some rest and starting to feel like yourself again. I pretty much cry every time I see new pictures, and if I even say the word Jen, Ellie shouts, "baby Kate!"
ReplyDeletep.s. Loved the metric conversions for family in Germany :)
ReplyDeleteAAHHH!! I am so. incredibly. amazingly. stinking. PROUD OF YOU!!!!! Jen, that is quite a story. I cried while I read this, and I've read a LOT of birth stories. The first snuggle, the grandparents, the rocking chair??!! Oh heavens, what a perfect way to start a life :) The first family photo is absolutely priceless and you look AMAZING. So much so, that I showed the picture to Sylvain and said, "How long do you think this lady labored?" I won't tell you his guess but it was WAAAYYY less than your real number, so that just goes to show you what a fresh baby does for a mama's face!
ReplyDeleteWay to go, Wheelers. You two are AWESOME! And that sweet Kate is pretty great, too :) Congratulations!
I love her already! So glad you shared, I've been wanting to hear all about it, but like Laura, didn't want to call bc I'm sure things are crazy. I'll try giving you a call next week, when hopefully things are settling down a bit. Keep enjoying your sweet little baby!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I am so happy for you. You are a picture in my mind of God's perfect timing. I remember when you were still in Lexington, before any of your big changes, being disappointed that you were not seeming to have any luck conceiving at that time. Now look at you. God's Timing is Perfect. When ever I forget that in my own life I think of you three and remember to wait upon the Lord!
ReplyDeleteThanks for that.