Monday, October 8, 2012

Week 27


How far along: 27 weeks

Best moment this week: Weekend snoozing and breakfast.  One of the things I will surely miss about our pre-baby life is sleeping in on the weekends.  I love our lazy routine.  If we don't have plans, we doze for hours past when we usually get up during the week and then always make some kind of special, big weekend breakfast.  Monday through Friday it's boring granola bars and yogurt at my desk, but on the weekend we make french toast, pancakes, muffins, biscuits, bacon, eggs, sausage... some kind of delicious feast.  We'll still make a big deal out of weekend breakfast, but it won't be served after 11 hours of uninterrupted sleep like it was this weekend.

What's new with baby:  Our sweet baby girl is the size of a head of cauliflower, about 2 pounds and 14.5 inches long with her legs extended!  She can open and close her eyes now, recognize our voices, and brain tissue continues to develop rapidly.  Her kicks have gotten stronger, I can see them as well as feel them.

Mom is feeling:  Fine during the day, slightly terrified of going to sleep at night because of the leg cramps that startle me awake in agonizing pain in the middle of my slumber.  I've tried everything the books say- increase water intake, more potassium, more magnesium, massage, elevate, exercise, stretch, apply heat... and still my calves lock up while I'm sleeping.  Not fun.  I'm also fulfilling more of the "pregnant lady" stereotypes like clumsiness, crying over stupid things, and helplessness.  For example, last night on our walk I had to ask Matt to tie my shoe when I realized I can't do it without having our stairs to bring my shoe to a level where I can reach it without losing my balance.  On Saturday, I was defeated by our vacuum cleaner.  Pushing the vacuum cleaner (something I managed without any problems two weeks ago), exhausted me so much that I had to stop to catch my breath and then somehow ended up in tears of frustration (silly hormones) because I was annoyed that I couldn't vacuum one room of my house without stopping for multiple breaks.  Matt gladly finished the job for me and after seeing how sad/angry the whole incident made me he banned me from vacuuming for the remainder of the pregnancy.  If you've been following along with the weekly updates you know that my first and second trimester were basically a breeze.  Even if things start getting more uncomfortable and frustrating in my third trimester, it's still been much easier than I expected and at least I'm in the home stretch!

Weight gain:  14 pounds total, only one pound gained in the last week so I'm back on track.

Wardrobe:  Fall is here!  I wore some maternity leggings under a dress for the first time today and I think all leggings should be maternity leggings... so stretchy and comfy!

Cravings: Nothing.

Missing: I'm not going to say I was "graceful" before, I definitely had many klutzy moments before there was a tiny human inhabiting my body... but I do miss what little sense of balance and poise I did once have.

Name news:  Unless we stumble across some awesome name that none of the countless books and websites we searched mentioned... I think we can check this off the list!  Here's the part where all you curious folk will yell angrily at your computers: as stated before we are choosing to closely guard this secret for fear that someone will make us second guess a decision that was not easy.  After she's here you can make all your "How do you spell that?", "I knew a girl who was ugly with that name", "Did you know it means 'vomit' in Mandarin?" "I know 15 girls born in the last week with that name" or "Hmm..." comments you want, because it will be too late.  {Sidenote- to my knowledge, her name does not mean 'vomit' in any language.}

Scared about: Uncontrollable, killer calf cramps... striking when you least expect them.

Excited about: My baby shower in Kentucky this weekend!  I feel so honored that friends and family want to celebrate our baby girl and can't wait to see everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Yippee!! Can't wait for your shower. I LOVE these updates SO MUCH! Please just give me a first letter...I promise I'm not getting you anything monogrammed or initialed or anything, I just need a crumb of a clue because I'm totally nosy! I think we should play a "guess the name" game wherein we all shout names at you and when your face turns red, we know we're right! Then you won't have to actually spill the beans and we can all feel better.

    J.K. I totally get it, I did the same thing with Sylvia's name. Sigh. I guess I can wait a little longer.

    You look fantastic. Leg cramps be damned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeek!!! I can't wait to see you and your bump!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't believe you're keeping Bawquet a secret.

    ReplyDelete