I need to first explain that when I started school at UK in the fall of 2001, I was not a basketball fan. I could not tell you how many national titles Kentucky had, I could not name any of our players, I could not tell you what basics like "traveling" meant or how much time is on a shot clock. However, the tradition is so strong at UK that it didn't even take a whole semester before I was standing in line at Memorial for the ticket lottery to go to the games with my friends. Being a passionate basketball fan is just part of the college experience at UK, you can't help but become obsessed with the sport- it's all anyone talks about and a huge part of social life. I needed to tell you about my shameful, naive history so that you understand why all my of my favorite players are players from the last decade. I have great respect for the names hanging in the rafters, but I never watched them play so I can't love them they way I love these guys who made me fall in love with Kentucky basketball.
# 5 Jodie Meeks
Why do I love him? Because he is a beast. Because he scored 54 points in one night.
# 4 Ramel Bradley
I nicknamed him "Crazy Eyes" because, well sometimes it looked like he was cross eyed, but also because he would get that crazy look in his eyes and go nuts. He was not afraid of talking trash all game long, and getting physical. He was kind of a bully, but only on the court. I loved his enthusiasm, it was infectious.
![]() |
| Ramel & Mr. Keightley- this picture makes me happy and sad all at the same time |
# 3 Tayshaun Prince

Someday when I'm old and need a hearing aid I will tell my grandchildren that I started losing my hearing my freshman year of college at the UK vs. UNC basketball game. It was one of the first games I ever went to and I think it explains why I caught the basketball bug. The excitement and insane volume in Rupp Arena after Tayshaun hit FIVE three point shots IN A ROW was unbelievable.
# 2 DeMarcus Cousins
Boogie loved the game, so you couldn't help but love Boogie. I loved to watch him because it was so obvious that he was having the time of his life. He was entertaining and an amazing athlete. I'll never forget the game Matt and I went to where the crazy redneck woman behind us spent the whole game shouting, "Hey Cuz! Hey Cuz!" and waving... because I'm sure in an arena of 23,000 where we are in the upper deck he will hear you and wave back. But you know what? If he had heard her, he would've, because that's the kind of guy he is.
#1 Chuck Hayes
It's crazy that I'm getting emotional just trying to decide what to say about Chuck Hayes. I think it's because his four years at UK were also my 4 years at UK. All of my fun college memories that are linked to basketball, he was there too. I loved the way he put his whole heart into the game, so much so that you could tell that he was always giving it his all. When the Cats lost in 2005 to Michigan State in OT of the tournament I cried... and not because it was a heartbreaking loss, but because I knew it was the last time I'd see Chuck Hayes in Kentucky blue.
While I'm reminiscing about players of the past decade, I feel I should mention these two, not because they are my favorites, but to share some trivia.
Shagari Alleyne
Random fact: Like Hagrid, Shagari is half giant. He was clumsy, and Pete said his name funny, and I don't know where he could buy mittens.
Gerald Fitch
Random fact: He sat next to me in Logic 101. He once laughed at my joke.
Random fact 2: I think he and Erik Daniels shared a moped to ride to class.
Who are your favorite Wildcats? I really love the team we have now, I think my favorite current Cat might be Darius Miller. We need his leadership and experience to make the run in the tournament I know we're capable of.
It's funny how a sport I used to care nothing about now consumes my schedule in March. Let's go Cats, this faithful fan has never been able to cheer on a champion team, I think it's time!!!








As soon as Laura told me that I was mentioned in your blog today because of the way I "said some player's name" that it was good old Shagari. His only claim to fame was dunking without jumping.
ReplyDeleteI pre-date you by a couple years of Cat-fandom (I started in 94 when I moved to KY), but I think I have to cast my all-time favorite vote for Jeff Shepard. I will never ever understand why he was not a NBA draft pick. That dude could jump out of the freakin' gym. Best white-boy hops ever.