At first I thought, well this is what we signed up for when we moved to South Carolina, but then I learned that this summer has been unusually hot not just for SC, but for the whole country. We'd be just as miserable in Kentucky, at least we have palm trees to look at that make the heat seem more justified here. All this heat though has made me start day dreaming about Christmas.Wait! Before you get all judgmental and think I'm one of those annoying people who puts up my tree before Halloween, I'm not... usually. This year I might be, and I feel I have good reason so hear me out. Last year we basically skipped Christmas. Yes, there was a cookie baking day and a snowy treacherous drive over the Blue Ridge Mountains to Tennessee on Christmas Day, but since I spent December packing, moving, selling and buying a home... I somehow missed the whole season. None of our decorations ever came out. There was no Elf night. No annual reminiscing while pulling out sentimental ornaments. Speaking of ornaments, this year I hope to add this guy to my Mickey's Christmas Carol series of ornaments from Hallmark:
Yes, I'm a kid at heart and Mickey's Christmas Carol is my all time favorite Christmas movie and version of the Dickens classic. Goofy as Jacob Marley isn't as colorful as the past few years of ornaments in this series, but my collection wouldn't be complete without him. I checked to see what this year's ornament was because I was secretly hoping it would be Tiny Tim.
I love him. He's cute, he's stylish (check out that hat), and he has a great attitude. I don't see how they could leave him out of the collection and I can't wait until someday I have my own tiny Tiny Tim to hang on my tree!
I'm not just looking forward to the ornaments, I also am excited about decorating our pretty new house this year. We never did much outside our old house except hang a wreath, but with the front porch at the new house there are suddenly so many possibilities! Like this:
Ok... so maybe my front porch (and house) look nothing like this, but that doesn't mean I can't wrap garland or lights around my front porch in a few months!
I hope my random holiday tangent helped you cool off a bit, it seems like the next couple of months are already filling up with trips and plans and I hope fall doesn't go by too fast since it is my favorite season. In the meantime though, I'll keep enjoying cold lemonade while sitting under my ceiling fan in my cool air conditioned home, hope you get to do the same!
Gah!!! I love Christmas!!! I start getting excited about it right around this time of year, too. That's why I love living in a place with such different seasons. As much as I'd love to live in New Mexico, I just couldn't handle the absence of snow :)
ReplyDelete