Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summertime!

It's officially summer and so far I'm loving my first one back in the south. I knew it would a lot hotter and more humid than Kentucky, but summer is one of my favorite seasons and I haven't minded the over 100 degree temps yet. In honor of the first week of summer, here's a list of my favorite things about this time of year:

1. Longer days

I love that it stays light longer in the evenings. After being at work all day it's nice to come home and feel like you still have some of the day left. Last week we played tennis, tossed a frisbee, went for a walk, and rode bikes after work. I sit at a desk all day, so being able to play outside on a weeknight is a treat. We go for walks around dusk when it has cooled off some, and there are fireflies everywhere, it's really pretty!

I didn't take this, or any of the pictures in today's post. I found them all on Google.



2.Frozen treats


Summer is the perfect time for cold and delicious drinks, popsicles, ice cream, etc. This past weekend I made strawberry daquiris. Yesterday Matt made us banana milkshakes for dessert. I drink lemondae year round, but it tastes much more refreshing on a hot summer day.

3. Bare Feet

In the winter, my feet are always cold. In the summer they are warm, happy, and usually in a pair of flip flops.
I like to paint my toes bright, fun colors in the summer. Right now they're purple. I'm allowed to wear flip flops to work at my new job. It's a dream come true.


4. Grilling

There's nothing faster and easier than throwing a hot dog or hamburger on the grill, and most nights that's what we do for dinner. It's nice that there are no pots and pans to clean up in the kitchen and I love that smoky grill taste.


That about sums up the first few things that come to mind about how I will enjoy the next couple of months. Yes, it's hot... but I'd gladly take that any day over the cold. I wish all you out there in blog land a happy summer season!

1 comment:

  1. When we play Who Knew, my whole family knows to put flip flops as my number one. I wear them well into the chilly fall weather and I lament the day I have to start wearing socks. I also agree wholeheartedly with longer days. Hooray for summer!

    ReplyDelete