There is a lot of things I am thankful for that my parents have taught me over the years. However, now that I have kids I am realizing that so much of what Matt and I are teaching them is completely unintentional, they are learning about life, and love, and habits, and values just by absorbing our example around them. One of the best things mine and Matt's parents did was set us up for a successful marriage by living out their commitment to one another over the years.
This fall marks a noteworthy milestone for both couples as they each celebrate 40 happy years together. I am so thankful for the legacy of lasting marriages in our family and the wonderful picture they are for us and our children. I thought it would be fun to give them some recognition on the blog, and even more fun to look back at some pictures from 1978...
 |
| September 30, 1978 |
 |
| October 14, 1978 |
I love looking at these pictures! Sometimes it's hard to think of our parents before they were parents since that is the only way we have ever known them. I'm sure my kids will feel the same way someday when they look back at our young, happy faces on our wedding day.
Here are some exclusive sneak peeks from Eddyville, Kentucky of the wedding preparations:
 |
| Gran helping Peggy get ready |
 |
| Peggy and her father |
 |
| Getting ready to give the bride away |
A few weeks later in Burkardroth, Germany, these newlyweds were taking a celebratory tour through the town in their very own horse drawn carriage, how romantic!
 |
| A misty October morning |
 |
| Cousin Markus looks very nervous about carrying that unity candle |
These lovely couples have always made marriage look easy and fun. I know they are a big part of the reason why my own marriage is easy and fun- I've never seen it done any other way. Thanks, Mom and Dad and thanks, John and Peggy, for setting the bar so high. Congratulations on your 40th anniversaries and cheers to many, many more years together! We love you!
 |
| The adventure begins |
 |
| Riding off into the sunset |
All I can say is “Matt did well...”
ReplyDelete