![]() |
| Survivors- ready to get out of the house after days and days of rain |
We got lucky, very lucky, and had no damage to our home. I'm still in shock at the complete ruin of neighborhoods less than 3 miles from ours that I drive past everyday on the way to work, totally destroyed with piles of unrecognizable belongings lining the street and houses marked as condemned beyond repair. Roads we travel all the time gave way to giant sink holes, bridges collapsed, and the canal that feeds our city water supply suffered a breach that took nine days to get under control during which time our water was not safe for consumption.
As if the flood wasn't enough mayhem, so far this month we have also been dealing with (in order of events) an ear infection, bronchitis, Matt out of the country, cabin fever/boredom, stomach virus, teething, loss of a beloved teacher at the daycare, and lingering pain from the bronchitis. When it rains, it pours.
![]() |
| In a crisis, we all just want our Mama no matter how old you are |
It's not all gloom and doom and sickness and rising waters though... let's focus on the good, like the huge blessing that the kids and I were not alone during the madness. My parents had planned to come help out weeks ago when Matt scheduled his trip to Canada, and together we fought the cabin fever and boiled our water and thankfully they were around to keep the kids when the daycare was closed a few days because not enough staff could make it in to work.

![]() |
| Going stir crazy |
![]() |
| Change of scenery, playing at the neighbor's house instead of ours after being cooped up all week |
This week has been really good so far. The sun is shining, the community has come together in overwhelming ways to begin the long road of clean up and restoration, we are all healthy, and we are all home. In times of tragedy it can be hard, but necessary, to process how quickly life can change in an instant and to be all the more grateful for each day that we are safe and happy. I know I hugged my baby bears a bit tighter and longer when I heard stories of the families huddled together at evacuation shelters waiting to hear if missing neighbors made it out in time or if they even still had homes. Thank you to everyone who checked in on us when you heard about the flood, we are so fortunate to say that it did not create any issues for us and appreciate your concern. I hope it's sunny wherever you are!








John and I were so glad that you all had nothing worse than a boil water advisory and your parents were with you.
ReplyDeleteIt is so sad about Miss Monica, from everything I read on Gateway's page she was a wonderful woman.
Hope the good health continues. Give Matt, Kate and Luke a big hug and kiss for me.