As you know, I am very excited about becoming an aunt next year. In fact, I am so excited about my niece, sweet Hannah Grace, that I crashed her babymoon this past weekend. A "babymoon" is a fairly new and brilliant concept where the expectant parents take one last relaxing trip together before their world is turned upside down by the arrival of an adorable and demanding human. We never took an official trip like this, but we had seven blissfully lazy years before our kiddos came along and I fondly look back on them. Besides, I'm not sure you can fully appreciate what you have until it's gone as far as your pre-child days of freedom and sleep, sleep, sleep. The real tradition should be a "we survived parenthood!" trip, but I think that's just called retirement?
 |
| Ahh! My niece (and sister) look so cute! |
Claudia and Stephen picked a perfect week weather wise to head to the South Carolina coast and when they invited us down for the day on Saturday we jumped at the chance to see them, the baby bump, and the beach! The morning had a bit of fall chill in the in the air, perfect for playing in the park and strolling along the pier in Charleston harbor. After lunch it warmed up enough for Kate to splash in the surf with her Uncle Stephen. We finished up the day with a fantastic dinner on the porch of one of our all time favorite places to eat- Poe's Tavern on Sullivan's Island.
 |
| Walking the pier under the Cooper River bridge |
 |
| Playground fun |
 |
| My Luke. He is growing up so fast I can hardly stand it. |
 |
| I heard her from across the playground, a voice echoing out of the tunnel saying "HERE I COME!!!!!" |
Have I mentioned I love the beach? Especially after all the rain and misery we have been through this month, it was so good to sit in the sand with some of my favorite people. Being with kids on the beach brings out the inner kid in all of us.
 |
| Still too small to do much except try to eat sand |
Kate didn't mind the cool October ocean temperatures at all, and thankfully Stephen was up to the challenge of taking a frosty dip with her. Uncle of the Year! They also found some tidal pools to play in that were warmer and our little beach bum played and splashed for hours until she was shivering and wrinkly and I had to drag her out of the water and get Stephen to haul her home.
 |
| Scooped up and snuggled up |
 |
| A rare attempt at a family photo- Matt with his clone and me with mine |
The day did not disappoint, and I hope someday Hannah hears about how we all spent part of her babymoon together talking about her and daydreaming about how next time we're all at the beach together, she will be joining in the fun!
 |
| Luke snatched tasty french fries off my plate the entire meal- smart boy |
 |
| Happy Babymoon! Thanks for letting us join in the fun! |
No comments:
Post a Comment