Wednesday, March 12, 2014

14 Months

Somewhere over the last few weeks my baby has been replaced by a child.  Last year at this time it seemed the exhausting endless feedings, rocking, and holding of that tiny squishy baby would never end, and I realize now how short and precious that phase was.  I don't really miss it though because this current age is the best yet.  Kate is sweet, playful, and dare I say (for the moment) relatively easy.  I'm aware that at the next new tooth, growth spurt, illness, etc. her routine and disposition will change yet again, but for now I'm savoring this happy phase we are in where our home is calm and fun.

Getting a good picture of this feisty 14 month old is impossible

The biggest news with Kate this past month is how much her comprehension has developed.  It amazes us how much she understands.  We can ask her to get a certain book or particular stuffed animal and she wanders off and brings it back to us.  She will proudly point to her nose if asked where it is.  She will blow kisses when you say "I love you" and eagerly wave "hi" or "bye" when either word is mentioned.  She effectively communicates what she wants by using her finger to point or by shaking her head "No!" at us.  Her first word with correct association is "choo-choo," she says it only when she hears the train go by outside our neighborhood.  "Da-da" is a close second, usually used in the right context when she sees Matt.

Kate continues to be an independent (strong willed) child.  She prefers to brush her own teeth, comb her own hair, feed herself, and go where she pleases.  She definitely has a mind of her own and is quick to protest (scream) when something is not going the way she wants.  Mostly though right now she is very curious, sweet, and definitely laughs more than she cries.


The biggest news for me is that as of this month Kate is completely weaned!  Before Kate was born I had decided I wanted to give breastfeeding a shot and I admit that for me it was hard, much harder than I thought it would be, but I believe it ended up being the right choice for our family.  I remember how for the first six weeks every time Kate latched (10-12 times a day) I would bite my lip to keep from screaming too loud because it would startle her and then she'd have to latch all over again.  I remember the frustration when the lactation consultant said Kate had a lazy latch, worrying over my supply, analyzing diaper output because we had no idea how much she was consuming, hating my pump, nursing her for 45 minutes at a time only to start all over an hour later again, clogged ducts, a case of mastitis, dragging my pump back and forth from work everyday where I pumped as often as four times a day, and a whole bunch of other graphic miserable details I will spare my readers.

Having said all that about how hard it was at times, please don't miss this next part: I'm extremely glad I did it.  There was something magical about nursing my baby that seriously outweighs all the initial pain and hassle.  Once we got the hang of it, the discomfort stopped completely.  For us, it actually became more convenient than any alternative.  The coos and smiles and milk coma naps in my arms trumped all the agony we went through to reach that point.  I loved having a reason to go visit Kate during my lunch breaks.  I loved our special bonding in the evenings after we'd been apart all day.  As we began the weaning process though, I wasn't sad or emotional, I was excited and ready.  We made it to my goal of one year!

(Necessary shout out- even though some people think breastfeeding falls completely on the mom, I say they're wrong.  I could not have made it beyond a year, beyond a DAY even, if it hadn't been for all the support I received.  To my Mama friends who responded to my desperate 3:00 a.m. e-mails for help and advice- thank you for the insight, encouragement, and empathy!  To Matt, who would bring me the baby, build pillow forts for my arms, make sure I stayed hydrated, take apart and wash my pump in the evenings, and completely backed my decision no matter what it was- you're the best!)




Favorites: Her swing, picking up pine needles and making little piles with them, morning snuggles, yogurt, watermelon, spotting dogs on our walks, wearing her jacket inside, DANCING, and cookies

Dislikes: Having her monthly picture taken

I hate this!  I will not sit!

I really wish time would slow down right now.  We are having too much fun watching this little personality evolve and can't get enough of the sweet hugs and giggles.  Don't grow up too fast Baby Kate!

1 comment:

  1. She has changed since I saw her last. She is really growing and I love this stage.

    ReplyDelete