On Saturday Kate had her first experience with "real" food, a piece of banana smashed up and thinned out with some breast milk. It was a hit! A lot of it got on her face and bib, but she smacked her lips together eagerly and ate a good bit of it too. She even lifted the bib to her face and tried to lick off the tasty morsels that had gotten away.
Add it to the list of things that are changing daily at our house, now our baby is curious and interested in sampling food! Another recent change has been that Kate's unruly bangs hang down in her eyes so I've started pinning them back with a bow. Adorable and functional!
It was a lazy weekend and Kate also took her first swing in the hammock. She looked so relaxed and comfy that I couldn't resist joining her too.
Since we were on a roll (first banana, first hammock swing) we thought we'd mark one more off the list: first time in her highchair. If our baby is starting to sample real food on occasion, then she needs a place at the dinner table! Kate was really excited about her new view of the world, we even pulled her up to the island where she happily watched us preparing dinner. Her highchair will grow with her, it converts into a booster seat that pulls up under the table so it will be at our table for years. I know this chair will see some crazy messes and abuse in the coming years, and I really am looking forward to it. I love watching her discover new things.
I think she looks like such a big girl sitting up in it, it is hard to imagine that one day the tray and post will come off and she will climb into it herself! Today's smashed banana chunk was served in her new seat and was met with enthusiasm once again. I'm a little emotional about how quickly this is all going by, yesterday it was a milk only diet, today it's banana mush... and all too soon she'll be fixing her own cup of Ramen noodles in her college dorm. Sniff, sniff.
Enough with the sentimental Mommy stuff. Every stage really is more fun than the one before it, and I'm proud of her for being such a good sport about all the new experiences we throw at her. Coming up later this week... baby girl's first fourth of July and BIG road trip!






We can't wait to see you!! Also, I'm bringing my copy of Baby Led Weaning to lend you now that Baby Kate is almost six months old(!).
ReplyDeleteWow! I am enjoying reading all about Kate's newest accomplishment, she is growing so quickly.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to our time together.