Friday, June 22, 2012

Looking Ahead

Our vacation might be behind us, but there's still a lot to look forward to for the rest of the summer.  Here's a sneak peek of events hopefully coming soon...

First up, our next room renovation!  If you thought we'd run out of rooms to paint and redo in the new house by now, you're very mistaken (the living room, office, guest room, etc. are all still crying for color).  This summer though, we hope to turn our bonus room into a more usable space.  Our house has what realtors call a FROG (finished room over garage) and while it's a great sized space, it has a huge downfall in that climate control is a challenge in that room.  From about March to November all it's good for is a sauna.  Sure, it has it's own sad little wall A/C unit... but without a thermostat it's impossible to control.  Your only option is to have the foresight to know when you'll want to visit that room and turn the unit on a few hours before then.  It's not very practical or economical, not to mention it's extremely noisy- the unit sounds like a tornado when it's running.

Not cool. (Haha, puns crack me up.)
Why do we need a bonus room?  This next bit might come as a shock to some (just kidding), but Matt and I tend to have very different tastes when it comes to television.  Here are some examples:

Me: Yipee, Say Yes to the Dress is on!
Matt: You don't need a wedding dress. Hmm...Fast and Loud!
Me: You don't need an old car restored.  Oooh! Veronica Mars reruns on Soap Net!
Matt: You've seen every episode. You know what happens.
Me: This is a really good one though.
Matt: Let me check in on the NBA Playoffs.
Me: Ugh. If it's not KY basketball I really don't care.  I bet there's something good on Bravo.
Matt: Just trash.  I bet there's something good on Discovery.  Look, men making giant fish tanks!

I could go on.  What ends up happening is that we usually compromise on the gender neutral network TV stations or we just head for instant Netflix and debate our choices there.  Sometimes though, you just want to spend a Saturday afternoon watching a sappy Lifetime movie (me) or the History channel uncover hidden cities beneath other cities (him), and this is why we'd love to have another room in our house where we can watch TV.

Lonely bonus room desperately seeking makeover to lure visitors
We're currently trying to get some quotes on a new, more efficient A/C option.  Then there's talk of painting the old brown wood trim and the rest of the room too. I'm excited about this room being functional!

Next on the list of things to look forward to is an upcoming visit with family!  It's been a few months and I'm starting to get homesick to see everyone so a weekend trip is in the works.  Like always, it will go by too fast and be a bit of a blur, but it's always worth it and will get me through until the next reunion.

Backyard chatting- a favorite family past time

Finally, I'm planning on redesigning the blog!  It's hard to believe in July this ol' blog will be 2 years old!  So much has changed since then and it's time for a blog facelift.  I've enlisted the help of my favorite graphic designer to work on a new header and I've been playing around with the layout options and different add ons available to give it a new look.  Even though I feel like the blog isn't as exciting as when we were in the middle of moving, I still enjoy having a way to share and document what's going on with us that is more private and personal than Facebook.  If nothing else, it's nice for me to have an online scrapbook since I seem to be too lazy to put together my real scrapbook or a photo album.

Other great things to look forward to during summer?  Ice cream, wearing sundresses and flip flops, and more daylight to enjoy after work.  Happy summer!

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen that picture of you and me in your backyard. Must be from like 5 years ago because those capri's I have on have long since been passed on to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a great visit next weekend - cant wait to hear/read all about it!! :)

    ReplyDelete