Friday, January 27, 2012

Goals

Hi!  Sorry it's been a while, if you're interested in my excuses here they are- sickness, rain, and stress at work.  All three of those items have made me extremely unproductive in my free time these past few weeks so blogging wasn't high on my list (neither was exercising, cleaning my house, buying groceries, etc.).  Here we are a month into the new year and I'm sad to say January was a bit of a flop.  I didn't really make any New Year's resolutions, but after a month of being cooped up inside on the couch I think I might benefit from setting some goals for the rest of the year.

Have you heard of the "30 before 30" lists?  Similar to a bucket list, people are making these lists of 30 things they want to do before they turn thirty.  After reading some of them, I think they should rename it the "30 things I want to do before I have to be a responsible adult" list.  Also, I noticed almost everyone list lots of traveling to exotic places... who in their twenties has the money for that kind of globe trotting?  I think a much better 30 before 30 could include things like:

-get a degree
-buy a house
-get a job, becoming a tax paying, contributing member of society who doesn't mooch off their parents or government
Hey dude- do you want to live to see 30?  You're just asking for hypothermia.
Oh wait. That's boring.  "Skydiving on all 7 continents," and "climbing Everest," are clearly much better ways to spend your twenties.  Anyway, since 3-0 is looming I started thinking about what my 30 before 30 would be, and am happy to say that I feel like I accomplished and experienced a lot in my twenties, whether it was on a silly list or not.  I know 10 years ago one of my biggest hopes for this decade was to fall in love.  Check!
Young love... circa 2003
As for things I want to squeeze in before the end of this year, I'm keeping it realistic- since I know that I don't have 5 months of vacation days and a secret pile of money to facilitate all my dreams this year.  I did come up with a few things I hope to do before Decemeber...

-Be stronger.
I don't have much muscle definition.  Probably because I never do any kind of strength training.  I don't want to look like a scary body builder, I just want to be able to carry all my groceries in one trip.

-Memorize a chapter of the Bible.
I can recall the words to every Britney Spears song.  I think those memory cells would be put to better use holding on to some truth that was useful and could enhance my character.  I've memorized lots of verses in the past, but never a whole chapter. 

-Win a National Championship
I can't do much to help the Cats accomplish this, but I think this is a great goal for these guys for 2012.  We need to win while I'm still young enough to go party in the streets when it happens.

-Go parasailing
I wanted to on our honeymoon but the concierge told Matt that due to some high winds it wasn't the best idea.  Matt didn't want his new bride blowing away to Venezuela, so we rented a jet ski instead.  Now that we're closer to the beach, I think it's time I go for a flight above the water.

What's the big deal about thirty anyway?  It's just a number.  It is fun to set some goals though and see what happens this year... I'll let you know if I accomplish any of them! 

1 comment:

  1. I've loved every second of being 30. I'm really pulling for those cats this year, too, and I plan to party in the streets as well! Parasailing? Yipes! That's the scariest one on your list, but it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete