Sunday, March 6, 2011

Parting is such sweet sorrow


Cookie: A Farewell Love Sonnet

by Jennifer Wheeler

Ooey-gooey, crumbly or chewy,
If it was a cookie I'm glad that I knew it.

Oh, Oreo to eat thee was bliss,
Oh, warm chocolate chip, you I shall miss.

Oh, Samoa and Thin Mint your season comes soon,
Oh, E.L.Fudge for you I'll always swoon.

Chips Deluxe, Oatmeal Raisin and Soft Batch,
For my taste buds you're a scrumptious match.

Frosted, sprinkled, they all make me happy.
Whoever thought Lent would make me so sappy?

I'll think of you often, which is the whole point of fasting,
And I'll turn that focus towards things more lasting.

Milk's perfect companion and my perfect snack,
Fear not sweet cookie, for my obsession will be back.




2 comments:

  1. Guess I won't be bringing any cookies when we visit next.
    You are one strong woman. I am not sure I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the cutest. Your poems remind me of all the cute poems my mom used to write for us when we were little. I'll have to dig some of those up!

    Good luck with your fasting! Easter will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete