The whole experience was fascinating. Roller derby enthusiasts are a subculture unlike any I've ever seen- fish net stockings, tattoos, crazy hair, makeup, costumes, and girls that are anything but dainty or girlie. By the time the spectators had a few beers they were as rowdy and vocal as the most passionate Wildcat fans. None of Matt's co-workers or their spouses knew what to expect either, or what the rules were, but together we quickly figured out that getting pushed down is bad and staying on your skates is good.
Basically, the girls skate in an angry pack that tries to keep the other team's "jammer" (speed skater chick with the star on her helmet) from passing them by any means necessary and although elbows were not allowed, judging by the frequent referee whistles and players sent to the penalty box, there was definitely some illegal shoving going on out there. 
There weren't any broken bones during this bout, although the EMT's were standing by with a stretcher just in case. I was pretty much in awe of these women who fearlessly attacked one another unafraid of the inevitable bruises from continually landing on the concrete. Don't worry though, I have no dreams of joining them, the seventh grade field trip to the roller skating rink that resulted in me breaking my finger is still too fresh in my mind.
I did have a lot of fun meeting Matt's co-workers, cheering on the home team, and people-watching at this entertaining event.
You should Netflix Whip It! - It's a movie about roller derby with drew barrymore and that girl from Juno plus a bunch of other big names. It's a good movie!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're getting to know each other's coworkers and doing fun things together!!
Wow! That's hilarious! I kinda want to see what this is all about now.
ReplyDelete