Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sewing Night

Here's a blog entry I'm sure a lot of you will get a kick out of, I attempted to sew on Thursday. Hopefully you can stop laughing at the idea of me sewing long enough to read it.

Thursday night my Bible study decided to do a bit of a service project instead of studying our Bibles. We made dresses out of pillowcases that we're sending to Africa. All you need is some ribbon for ties and a pillowcase... oh and someone who knows how to operate a sewing machine.
Luckily, super creative and oh-so-knowledgeable Maggie is a member of our group and she offered to walk the rest of us novices through some simple pattern cutting, ironing, and stitching. Maggie makes and sells some of the cutest custom items, check out her blog here and start placing your orders for adorable Christmas outfits.
She's converted her attic into her crafting zone, which we lovingly nicknamed "Maggie's Sweatshop." Check out the setup and the intimdiating machinery:
After some simple sounding instructions we were off to work, cutting armholes and folding over seams to sew our dresses.
Here's a finished adorable top for a little girl with a cute tie at the shoulder:Those of us who used pillowcases instead of regular fabric (like the one above) got a bit more of a boxy dress shape, but still very cute. Here's how mine turned out thanks to quite a bit of help from the girls:

I learned that I might not have the patience or the precision to become an avid seamstress, staying on track with the sewing machine was as difficult as staying in the lines when I color. However, it was an easy project and, as always when this group gets together, we had a lot of fun.

2 comments:

  1. congratulations! let me know if you ever want to sew again - you can always come over and use my machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna and Jamie would be so proud of you. I am like you, a sewing machine is very intimidating.

    ReplyDelete