Thursday, October 12, 2017

Fall Break Fun

The best way I can describe last weekend is perfect.  The weather, the food, the temperature of the pool and ocean, the chance to see dear friends and grandparents... I can't believe how lucky I am that this is my life.  We started off the fall break weekend last Thursday when the Crawfords stopped by for a night on their way to the coast.  Having these four kiddos together again and all the noise, laughter, and energy that came along with it was a blast.  


Friday we all drove down to Charleston and ate tacos together outside at our favorite spot, Taco Boy.  Then we let the kids run wild at a park while we caught up with Pete and Laura.  By the afternoon we were settled into John and Peggy's rental for the week and splashing in the pool when they arrived on Wild Dunes.



We ate pizza in the screened porch for dinner and tossed our worn out kiddos into their sleeping bags for the night.  The forecast for the weekend was very rainy, and very wrong!  It rained in the middle of the night and then not another drop for the remainder of our beautiful weekend.  I know it was technically our fall break, but it felt more like summer than our trip the month before!


We took advantage of the warm waters and played in the ocean, Kate even boogie boarded by herself and caught a small wave much to her delight.  The pool felt amazing too, refreshing but not cold.  Luke continues to amaze us all at what a fearless little fishy he is, going under water, kicking, and holding his breath like a champ.



Warning- if you're hungry right now, or have jealousy issues, you might want to stop reading here.  I'm about to describe all the wonderful things we ate the rest of the trip.  As any frequent blog visitor knows by now, one of our favorite things about visiting the Charleston area is all the delicious restaurants.  We didn't venture out to new spots this trip (except for dessert one night), but instead I challenged myself to order new items at our favorite places.  First up, Saturday night on the front porch of Poe's, I longingly glanced at the crab cake or fried egg topped burgers I usually go for and instead tried the barbecue bacon burger.  Verdict: you can't go wrong at Poe's and next time my decision will be all the more difficult since I have discovered a new tasty choice.




The next day brought more beautiful weather and hours of beach and pool time.  We ate at Home Team on Sullivan's Island and I tried their pulled pork taco.  Oh my.  It was fabulous.  I want to recreate it but fear that without their perfectly tender pulled pork as the base I could never come close.  As if dinner wasn't yummy enough, we really splurged and hit Beardcat's Sweet Shop for gelato afterwards.


We met up with the Crawfords and indulged on creamy, dreamy flavors like stracciatella, espresso, cinnamon, and black forest cake.  Go there.  You're welcome for the life changing tip.

As I unpacked the swim suits I realized I didn't know when we would need them again, and it made me a bit sad.  We had such a wonderful summer and it definitely doesn't feel like fall around here yet.  I'm so thankful for the fun beach memories- in a four week span we got to see both sets of grandparents, Claudia, Stephen and Hannah, and old roommates Mike and Pete plus Laura, Ellie and Caroline of course.  What a treat to be in such a fun place with so many people we love.  I love that Kate and Luke get these experiences and I can't wait to do it all again and again together!

P.S. We are now accepting invitations for the 2018 calendar year.  Plan your beach trips and let us know if we can join you.  See you in the sand!


No comments:

Post a Comment