The fun spring weekends just keep on coming. Last weekend we went to Charlotte to catch up and cookout with our dear friends Adam, Sarah, and Laing. Then this weekend we did something we have been wanting and meaning to do for a very long time- Matt and I had a weekend getaway to Charleston without the kids!
 |
| We. Are. Alone. |
This was the first time we have been away overnight together from both of the kids, and it has been almost three years since we did this the one time when Kate was 16 months old. It was a perfect weekend spent wandering through one of our favorite cities with no real agenda and no responsibilities. No diapers in my purse, no kid's menu needed at the restaurants, no tantrums. no timeouts, no nap schedule, no curfew, no early morning sneaky bed infiltrator. Just us, and it was just right for a change.

The weather could only be described as gorgeous. We didn't see a cloud either day, but it's early enough in the year that it wasn't hot walking around outside, and it was cool once the sun went down, but still really pleasant in just a light jacket. Charleston is beautiful in the spring. We ate at some of our favorite spots, and tried out a few new places too. Dinner at Poogan's Porch was probably the highlight of the weekend for me, it was laid back but much fancier than our day to day dining, and such a quiet, cozy setting in an old historic home. Matt declared his scallops the best he had ever eaten and I also slowly savored every tasty bite of the short rib ragu I ordered.
 |
| Taco Boy for lunch is always a good decision |
 |
| Morris Island lighthouse |
 |
| College of Charleston campus in the springtime |
We walked a lot, over 23,000 steps on Friday according to my Fitbit, but I think walking around is the best way to explore and experience Charleston. There are so many adorable hidden gardens, fountains, and details you miss otherwise, not to mention the fun of people watching and swanky window shopping.
 |
| Pineapple Fountain downtown, at night! I'm never out past dark! |
We stayed downtown, something we have never done but always wanted to do so that we could walk around the city at night. Our hotel had a view of the harbor, so on Saturday morning we woke up to a lovely sunrise, and then promptly rolled back over to snooze a bit longer before strolling to breakfast at the Hominy Grill.
 |
| Good morning |
 |
| Banana pancakes with praline pecan sauce |
We don't splurge often, and this whole weekend with the decadent food, luxurious hotel suite, and escape from our busy parenting gig was totally worth it. Of course, none of it would have been possible without our amazing, patient, free caregivers- John and Peggy. A huge public internet thank you goes out them. They claim it was a win-win situation, and I love that they feel that way, but I know we got the more relaxing end of the deal.
It was so good to get away and to have some time to ourselves, but the truth is I was ready to come home too and I missed the kids. I guess that's why we haven't done this in three years, weekends at home with the family are not something I really feel the need often to escape from, and I'm glad I can say that too.
So glad we were able to give you two a much needed escape. Last night we laughed at ourselves because we were talking about Kate and Luke like we used to talk about Matt when we were away from him
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting us stay with the kids and thanks for living close enough to Charleston that it made sense for us to come here ourselves.