![]() |
| Three and a half and a whole lot of sass |
![]() |
| Shopping diva learning to drive |
Kate is also funny. The other day I told her not to go outside until I was ready but she opened the door anyway and I said, "Wait! I didn't tell you to go out yet." and she sweetly responded, "But I'm an American." I guess they talked about freedom at school for the Fourth of July?
![]() |
| Sleeping on our road trip last weekend with her favorite pal, Lissa Cheetah |
Favorite activities: Kate plays soccer once a week and takes a ballet/tap class once a week. She loves both. She enjoys coloring, doing puzzles, playing pretend (lately she likes to act like a doggie and fetch chew toys), playgrounds, cooking, and splashing in the kiddie pool.
![]() |
| Our tiny dancer |
She loves to dress up, negotiate how many bedtime books we will read each night, watch Daniel Tiger, Sheriff Callie, Thomas the Train, Bob the Builder, Mickey or Princess Sofia, and build forts in the living room under blankets. Her favorite foods can change drastically from one meal to the next, but toddler staples like animal crackers, goldfish, applesauce, yogurt, tater tots and macaroni are almost always a safe bet. She told me yesterday, "Mommy, I can't wait until I know how to read!" and we spend a lot of time in her chair reading her current favorites like Dragons Love Tacos, Steam Train Dream Train, Click Clack Moo, and If You Give a Moose a Muffin. For the first two years of her life Kate ended every night with Matt reading her Goodnight Moon, but somewhere in the last couple of months she decided she did not like it anymore.
Favorite folks: Definitely a tie between her Daddy and her brother for the number one spot in her heart. I don't know how many times I've glanced over at her and Luke playing and she sneakily leans over to kiss his cheek just because she loves him. Her hugs and kisses right now are the best, especially because she says sweet things like, "Mommy, you are my favorite, I love you so much!" while she does it. Other favorite people in her life are our neighbor Colton, her baby cousin Hannah who she talks about all the time, and all of her grandparents who she goes around the house pointing out in photographs.
![]() |
| Best friends |
So far age three has had it's share of ridiculous tantrums too, and Kate is no stranger to the timeout corner at our house. The reasons for a meltdown are often really dumb, like the other day Matt poured milk into her cereal before he poured it into her cup and a giant screaming, kicking, freak out ensued. Kate has started napping for much shorter (sometimes not at all) periods and there is definitely a correlation between her moodiness and being well rested. While I hate the crazy tantrums, what I hate more is when she gets whiny. Whiny Kate ends up in timeout too, which often triggers a tantrum, so the two irrational and irritating toddler personalities go hand in hand.
Luckily, sweet and helpful Kate is around far more than her angry side. She enjoys helping with chores, she is fiercely protective over Luke (she tells other kids on playgrounds to watch out for her little brother), and I can always count on her to let me know if something is out of place or dirty. She likes to sing the blessing at dinner and adorably says "Father, Godther" instead of "God our Father," but even cute mess ups like this don't stick around long and I've already noticed some words she used to say wrong are now spoken clearly and less childlike as she grows.
I still can't believe sometimes that this amazing little girl has been entrusted to me and Matt to raise and love. I never knew how much I could love someone else until she came along. I've never been so excited to have another person report to me about their bathroom habits. I have never been challenged before to explain things under pressure and constant firing of follow up questions regarding where the clouds come from (don't worry, some of my 3rd grade science education came back to me), why sometimes we need a fork and other times a spoon, and how birds learn to fly. None of my accomplishments in life made me beam with pride like I do when I see that she has done something for the first time entirely by herself and she is grinning proudly about it too.
Sweet Kate, you light up our lives. How are you suddenly halfway through being three!? I love you more than I could ever explain to you. Happy half birthday my love!












She's the best!!! I laughed out loud at the "I'm an American" quote! Hilarious!
ReplyDeleteThis post made me cry. I never knew how big my heart could become until Kate and Luke came along. Bless you for your 400 posts and looking forward to many more.
ReplyDeleteGive Kate a big 3.5 birthday hug for me.