Last year, Matt took a lot of trips for work, I think seven weeks total, but luckily this year won't require as much travel for him. Last week was his first one of the year, and one of my longest solo stretches ever with two kids- six days. As with most things when I reflect on a parenting situation, it was a bit of a roller coaster.
![]() |
| We send a lot of pictures to Matt so he doesn't decide to stay in California |
The good: We did it! No calls from the daycare about anyone getting sick! I made it to work on time everyday, everyone was dressed, fed, bathed, etc. throughout the week without any major setbacks. I realized how terrific my kids are at entertaining themselves (sometimes) and playing together (sometimes). I remembered how much I love and appreciate my super helpful husband (all the time).
The bad: We slept horrible all week. Between me not being able to fall asleep easily home alone, to Kate having middle of the night accidents, to Luke just being Luke and screaming intermittently throughout the nights... it was an exhausting week. Kate and Luke have started fighting now that they play together more. Phrases like, "Stop touching each other!" "Leave him alone!" "Give it back!" "Luke, NO BITING!" play on repeat in our house. When there are two adults around it is much easier to break them up and separate the squabbling siblings.
![]() |
| Friday was pajama day at school- perfect timing for this weary Mama at the end of a long week |
The ugly: That time two different people at Kroger told me that "You have your hands full" because, well, I did, and Luke kept hitting Kate in the shopping cart.
![]() |
| Every morning while I got ready the kids destroyed, I mean creatively played, in our room |
![]() |
| Neighborhood pals: Kate, Luke and Colton...and coming in a few weeks, baby Carter will join the crew |
![]() |
Saturday night Matt came home and my sanity was restored. Just kidding, it wasn't that bad, but things are so much better when he's around and we were all extremely happy to see him.















Wonderful pictures. So happy no illness while Matt was gone. You are awesome!
ReplyDeleteSuper Mom!!!
ReplyDelete