Friday, June 5, 2015

Sleep

Victory is mine!
He did it.  On the night of June 4, 2015 at six months and 3 days old, Luke Edward Wheeler slept solidly for a whole night.  From 10:00 p.m. until 5:30 a.m.  We are not entirely sure if this was his first time doing this or not, there have been some random mornings the past few weeks where we wake up and can't really remember or agree on whether or not we heard him.  The nights are a bit foggy as I'm sure is to be expected after six months of sleep deprivation.  I'm not so naive to think this is our new normal yet, but it gives me great hope that we're heading in the right direction.

In a Murphy's Law twist of irony, just as Luke starts sleeping better, this week Kate woke up in the middle of the night a few times due to a fever that has been coming and going all week.  I guess when you have two small children nights are often interrupted and unpredictable.  She tends to fight fever by sucking her thumb, putting her hand on her belly, and randomly falling asleep on the floor while playing:


A trip to the doctor ruled out any type of infection, most likely a virus or her two year old molars.  I'm really hoping it goes away for good soon and she can go back to daycare next week.

Before you become a parent you get tired of hearing the constant advice to "sleep while you can."  Afterwards, you understand people just say it because they are too tired to remember how useless that advice is, you unfortunately can't store up sleep. I think the better advice would be to be thankful for sleep at any stage.  I know I won't ever take it for granted, and I will celebrate nights like last night where the house was quiet.



2 comments:

  1. Did Susan give him a little talk while y'all were together? Hope this is a sign of good night's sleep to come.
    Hate that Kate is not feeling well. It is adorable where she ends up sleeping. Some days I could fall asleep anywhere myself.
    Give them hugs and kisses. Looking forward to seeing you all next week. Let us know if we can bring anything or come earlier.
    Have a good weekend and hope your weekend is very restful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I meant in a couple of weeks. See you then.

      Delete