Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Prep Work

When I start daydreaming and planning my kid's nurseries, I tend to think in terms of the fun decorating details- color schemes, themes, accessories, etc.  I browse Pinterest and Etsy for days looking for inspiration and ideas to make the room unique and cozy.  I do not think in terms of logic and "first A must happen before B can happen."  Luckily, Matt humors me during my brainstorming phase and for the past month has been taking care of all the obvious steps that need to be completed before he can turn over the blank, clean slate of a room for me to decorate.

Back in August he spent a Saturday by himself in the nursery painting the room and swapping out all the outlets for the special kid safe ones.  Then the project sat on hold a few weekends while we went to Gran's for Labor Day and he had to travel for work.  Next, he sanded and stained an old dresser to make it look shiny and new, he even painted the knobs to match my color palette.  He cut an old shelf down to a better size and painted it to hang on the wall.  Then he started painting an old bookcase to match the room.  The final step in the prep work process was emptying out the remaining furniture in the room so we could start putting the new (and newly refinished) items in it.  We called in an extra set of hands and put Matt's parents to work this past weekend helping to move around furniture.

I tried to stay out of the way of the heavy lifting and have no pictures of all their hard work.  I made sure to show my gratitude by baking brownies and cooking yummy dinners instead to help them regain their strength.  The original Three Wheelers were an efficient crew and they only hit one setback along the way where a piece wouldn't fit where we hoped it would, but a trip to IKEA solved that problem and provided an even nicer alternative in my opinion.  By the end of the weekend we had a new space for guests and a second bedroom for a baby.

Some of the "work" Grammie had to do involved lifting this one off and on the see saw

If you were hoping for pictures I'm sorry there aren't any yet, it's not even close to being finished, although in many ways the hard parts are over and the rest will hopefully come together quickly.  Now the real fun (for me) starts.  The nursery is currently stark and bare, but I'm really excited because I get to fill it with curtains, pictures, a new crib, and other sweet sentimental touches for Baby Boy.


I can't thank Matt's parents enough for all of their help.  They breezed right through our To Do list and we were able to have plenty of time to just enjoy the gorgeous weekend weather and each other's company as well.  I can't wait to see if the room turns out like I picture it in my mind, I'll be sharing the big reveal in the coming weeks!

2 comments:

  1. Such a tease! Would love to see some in-progress pics!! Glad you had a good weekend. What kind of crib did you decide to get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun weekend. I really like the IKEA bed frame in the Grandparent's suite. I also like there is a bathroom handy. HA! I will eventually figure out which door leads up there.
    The meals you and Matt prepared were delicious and as always the company made everything taste even better.
    John and I enjoy Kate so much, she makes me laugh. We love her so. We can hardly wait until BBW arrives and makes us the 6 Wheeler's. What fun that is going to be.

    ReplyDelete